best algae eating pleco?

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Royal pleco, or a normal pleco but the normals are slime suckers!!!!

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
If you can get ottos or simple algee eating catfish for your tank..

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
this topic comes up all the time... try to use the search.

an ancistrus sp. one of the panaque royals, chaetostoma sp. and some people have success with commons such as punctas and gibbys. A group of ottos are good also. however the best is an algae scraper. then you dont have to limit your pleco selection to a couple of hundred

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Agreed with him, i saw your outher thread your having algee problems with you plants to?

I would try the ottos and a magnetic glass cleaner.

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
davo;511543; said:
this topic comes up all the time... try to use the search.

an ancistrus sp. one of the panaque royals, chaetostoma sp. and some people have success with commons such as punctas and gibbys. A group of ottos are good also. however the best is an algae scraper. then you dont have to limit your pleco selection to a couple of hundred
i have an algae scraper, the algae on the glass isnt the problem. its the algae on the rocks and the plants that i cant get off. I dont think otos would do well with a large group of julidochromis, they would probably get harassed and killed.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yea just read the other thread. brown hair algea. id go with the ancistrus (bristlenose), preferably, or maybe rubberlips. bristlenose worked well for me

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
:iagree: Listen to the Pleco Pro!!! I have always like the rubberlipped ,ottos and commons!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store