My EEL EXPLODED!

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
I have in my brackish tank, 3 fresh water eels. I've noticed how two of them have become extremely plump. I've only assumed up until this weekend that they were getting the larger portion of food. I've reduced their feedings to once a week and still noticed how large two of these eels were.

I've never established a cave system for the eels because they have all taken to the plastic roots and a plastic cave I have. Except the eels don't use the ornaments as intended, in that they don't swim on the outside, under or around the ornaments, but they have all found the opennings in the ornaments that allow water to pass through them.

Not a problem! That saved me from building a rock structure. The eels could easily squeeze in and out and apparently there was enough room for all three to fit in one ornament.

So I come home Friday to see one of the eels laying out and behind one of the intake sponges. Nothing unusual there. They crayfish hide back there and so maybe it was hungry. Minutes later, I hear my wife scream that there was a huge fungus on my eel. It wasn't!

I stood in amazement, looking at my eel! It looked like roe! Yup hundreds of eggs attached to intestines. They were pink but as time elapsed they were turning white and were falling off. Initially, I couldn't tell what was happening. Then I saw the horror! Apparently the Eel ruptured it's anus area and all of the eggs (I'm assuming) and the connective tissue and organs were hanging on to the poor creature.

I don't know what happened! The whole purpose of the prologue is to say, that I assume this eel just had a nice helping of crayfish. I assume that it was in one of the ornaments and decided to come out. I assume that it was too large and that it ruptured itself. I assume this eel was holding eggs.

The only thing I am confident in knowing is that the eel is now dead. And now I am looking for solutions to prevent this from happening again.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
Here is a link to my eels eating crayfish. You will also see the root and cave ornament that I am referring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3v4VsjVfnE

This video was not meant for cruelty. My LFS guy didn't believe that these eels ate crayfish. To prove it to him (and to buy crays at a feeder price) I created this video.

I don't know of many successful breedings with this fish, but you can clearly see, they love the crays.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
sorry guy - reminds me of that anaconda/alligator pic

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
DOH!

Here is the question. I understand that eels scatter their eggs and that they morph from their larva stage to the eels we know and love. But which comes first? The scattering or the fertilizing?

I have 2 eels now and it is possible that another is swollen with eggs. Is this the result of one of the eels fertilizing internally or do they pair up and scatter jointly?

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
sorry for ur loss dont no much about eels

Noot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
Wageningen, Holland
nice video! is that a fresh water eel? I had a few fire eels that loved crayfish, even if they were too big for them the eels would still attack it and rip it in pieces. A bit cruel but it´s really good food for the eels.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
It's ok, I have to show how this tank looks now! I made some fake mangrove roots and they look GOOD! The tank has a few Belonesox Belizanus, some silver and green scats and I'm waiting to get my hands on a silver dat and a few 'fresh water' eels.

I have to get rid of the convicts which are pests in this tank. Their babies were supposed to feed the belonesox, but those darn parents were so freaking protective that the fish won't even eat them even when they are no longer protected. UH... something like that.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
Ok this is how the tank looks now. But with fish and the water is to the top, and the background... bah, you get the idea I hope.

mangrove001.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store