Good things to feed plecos

Valyrian

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Queens, NY
I want my tiny pleco to grow faster and was wondering what are good things to feed a pleco. Right now I feed it algae wafers and I think it eats the flakes on the bottom. I tried feeding it bloodworms along with my other fish but I'm not sure if it eats them.

What else can I feed it to promote growth?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
cucumber slices , potatos, maybe some driftwood....

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Most important things need to be addressed still. What type of pleco and exact size.

In general if you want them to really grow fast, raw market shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, beefheart (occassionally), live foods (blackworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, and even earthworms).

Keep in mind if it is a carnivore than these will help it quite a bit. If not, these will help it grow faster, but it still will need veggies. Zucchinni, cucumber, potato, sweet potato, apple, kiwi, mango, carrots (great for red colored plecs), algae wafers, spinach, cabbage, peas and green beans.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
and broccolli! lol. chicken liver. go for wild things like insect larvae, fish eggs, rotting leaves, water plants all the worms etc etc. to be fair most veggies, and lots of meaty things, wash all veggies, and some of the fruits and veg like potatoe need to be washed thoroughly, because of the acids and starch and other things that will foul up your water quick.

o yea... what pleco you got? theyve all got completely different diets so....

Valyrian

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Queens, NY
It's the pleco in my "ID this pleco please" thread. I think it's a gibbi but I'm still not sure. It's like 1.5-2"

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
more veggies than meat, but obv needs meat- omnivore. the older it gets the more meat in the veggie:meat ratio it needs. it helps to bring out their colouring too.personally cant go wrong with the worms at that small size (specially bloodworms).

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I feed my omnivore plecs Hikari Carnivore. It's expensive, but the color on the fish is great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store