best food for max pleco growth rates

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
soliciting opinions, this started on another thread yesterday..What one food do you believe gives your Plecos max nutrition and accelerated growth rates..assuming water quality is good?

I'll go first

My Plecos go nuts over this food, high in protein however, most of my plecos are juveniles......place this in the tank and they come out of the woodwork literally to graze on the pellets-. Notably enhanced pleco growth and depth of colors are the benefits, check out my gallery...

HBH - AFRICAN CICHLID ATTACK

Main Ingredients: Anchovy Meal, Dried Squid, Blood Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Flour, Lecithin, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast
Vitamins and Minerals: (18) Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3, E, K3, Biotin, Choline, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc, Selenium
Color Enhancers: Beta Carotenes, Xanthophyll
Food Specifications: Two pellet blend consisting of a dark pellet with higher amounts of fish oil and color enhancers and a lighter pellet with high anchovy and squid content.
Pellet sizes: 1/16" to 1/8" and will accomdate most any mouth size.
Guaranteed Analysis: Protein - 43%; Fat - 12%; Fiber - 5%; Moisture - 10%; Ash - 13%.

Davo your turn :popcorn:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
a few key ingredients off the top of my head
1) Bogwood. i put it in regardless of the pleco species, and it helps the water quality to suit the pleco. Helps with roughage and digestion, the lignin, and creates the softer slightly acidic water.
2) shelled peas- these are fantasticly full of vegetable based minerals and vitamens, as opposed to cucumber and zucchini. I also believe water lettuce to be very good.
3) again for vegetarians- roughage is a must to keep there digestive tracts working. best for this is probably potatoe aswell as cucumber, zucchini, parsnip.
4) The bright colours- this is in meaty foods to help keep them very colourful, and all plecos should have it in their diet to keep it balanced. Also vegetables that contain natural "dyes" such as carrots can also have an affect. (dont expect an orange common pleco or anything though)
5) The meats. carnivorous small plecos in my experience should never turn down bloodworms, live or frozen. it is fantastic for the smaller plecs as they can eat it, and grow quick. i have to saw experiment with the prawns you give larger plecos and see what effect that has.

A few things missed are fruits and commercial foods

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
That is a tough call. You are asking which food is best for all the plecos? haha you know better. There are too many.

For commons just throw them in a tank with algae growing on the sides, they grow from 2" to 1' overnight.

For herbivores, bog/driftwood, and if you want to go high tech, blend 1cup peas, 1 cup zucchini, 1/2 a kiwi, 2 market shrimp. Puree them up, place them in a ziplock, flaten, freeze. Great to get your royals growing very quickly.

Carnivores... meat. Shrimp I find to be the best, due to its ease of use, and availability. Very good growth, and stunning colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store