API Aquarium Salt

Convict Cichlids

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2010
NEW YORK
my pick convict cichlids have cloudy eye and many people have told me to use Aquarium Salt so i bought some and called Cichlid Connection and he told me to treat 40 gallons and in two days do a 20 gallon water change and add salt for 20 gallons

today is day one and i see no improvement. What should i do?
:feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback:

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Convict Cichlids;4922687; said:
my pick convict cichlids have cloudy eye and many people have told me to use Aquarium Salt so i bought some and called Cichlid Connection and he told me to treat 40 gallons and in two days do a 20 gallon water change and add salt for 20 gallons

today is day one and i see no improvement. What should i do?
:feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback:
Cloudy eye without injury usually not always but usually is a direct symtom of water quality the water changes and salt are good but it will take time maybe a couple weeks of water changes but also be careful not to change so much water you throw it into a cycle again changing water to much ...If you really feel you need to treat with a med Melafix works great for cloud eye.

ramcharger1979

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Boise, ID
HULON;4922858; said:
Cloudy eye without injury usually not always but usually is a direct symtom of water quality the water changes and salt are good but it will take time maybe a couple weeks of water changes but also be careful not to change so much water you throw it into a cycle again changing water to much ...If you really feel you need to treat with a med Melafix works great for cloud eye.
If you have enough biological filtration (beneficial bacteria) how do you go into a cycle again? Just curious?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
ramcharger1979;4922899; said:
If you have enough biological filtration (beneficial bacteria) how do you go into a cycle again? Just curious?
By over cleaning your filters and doing to many water changes there becomes nothing to feed on for the bacteria ..Over cleaning your filtration depending on what type but especially canister can kill to many of your bacteria ..When you or i become over zealouse in cleaning removing exactly what the bateria is feeding on that is when the trouble begins believe me i have done it ,,

Convict Cichlids;4922884; said:
how often should i do a water change
First off what size is your tank?
the size of your tank can directly effect how much and how often ...You can also add benificial bacteria by purchasing it in a bottle to help your tank.....

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Convict Cichlids;4923880; said:
i have a new 55 gallon

i added
Well good there ya go ..I don't know how long the tank has been running or what kind of filtration you got ...How long has the tank been running ??? takes about 6 months for a take to get completly stable do you have a test Kit for your water ????If so check your Amonia and Ntrite right off the bat would bet one or both are elivated causing the cloud eye so i would not treat with Melafix no need ..Now that you have3 done the water changes i would continue on this route with 20 percent weekly and use prime or Korden when doing the water changes these products also lower the Amonia and nitrite as they declor also ..You through the week can add prime to lower the Amonia levels just check the level it sounds as though the tank is in a cycle.....

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
HULON;4923943; said:
Well good there ya go ..I don't know how long the tank has been running or what kind of filtration you got ...How long has the tank been running ??? takes about 6 months for a take to get completly stable do you have a test Kit for your water ????If so check your Amonia and Ntrite right off the bat would bet one or both are elivated causing the cloud eye so i would not treat with Melafix no need ..Now that you have3 done the water changes i would continue on this route with 20 percent weekly and use prime or Korden when doing the water changes these products also lower the Amonia and nitrite as they declor also ..You through the week can add prime to lower the Amonia levels just check the level it sounds as though the tank is in a cycle.....
:iagree:

Please no Melafix!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store