will koi eat guppies and platties?

johnnylaw1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
Indianapolis, Indiana
Long story short, i want to breed feeder guppies, and plattys, in an indoor pond i have. There are two koi in there at 6 inches a piece, will they try to eat the babies? Any info or advice would be great, thanks

John

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
yes they will, and they will thank you for them

blacksmith37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2006
Huntsville TX USA
been there /done that. They definately won't. As Koi get to about 3"(?) they even ignore mosquito larva. Which is why I have swordtails and /or platies and/or guppies in my 1000 gal pond with 4 Koi of 24" and 3 Koi of 12" ( started at 3" last spring) ; to eat larva. It is still amazing to feed( Red and green swords the last couple years) and see swords from too small to see ,up to 3" in open water. I forgot the zebra danios, same story.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
blacksmith37;538732; said:
been there /done that. They definately won't. As Koi get to about 3"(?) they even ignore mosquito larva. Which is why I have swordtails and /or platies and/or guppies in my 1000 gal pond with 4 Koi of 24" and 3 Koi of 12" ( started at 3" last spring) ; to eat larva. It is still amazing to feed( Red and green swords the last couple years) and see swords from too small to see ,up to 3" in open water. I forgot the zebra danios, same story.
i agree

koi wont eat small fish, there are exeptions however

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
ive had koi and they did eat smaller fish. must add they were not hunting them most of the time but during the sucksessions, fish were accidentely swallowed. dont have exp with big koi and small fish. also add that common carp can be caught on shads pretty well. i know a guy whos catching them a lot and does it lot in january and february. ofc these carp by catches during pike fishing but still it does tell you they will eat smaller fish.

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
I have a 7 inch koi in my 125 g and when i add feeders for my oscar and spoted gar he actively chases and swallows them,.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
People don’t realise carp are predatory I have Koi and Mirror carp in my pond and I fish for carp I feed them mussels prawns and I have watch large carp chase fry in there margins of lakes so I would say yes 100%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store