Food Question. (Looking for input on a purchase)

somthinsfishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
ogden, ut, us
I was at petco, and the gocery story today. I was on a mission for a varity of fish food. When it came time to get food for the my plecos I wanted a wide varity. So this is what I ended up with. Tell me if it's good or no good. As far as fruits and veggies goes. I picked up; Carrots, Zucchini, Sweet potatoes, Kiwi's. For the meat eaters of the bunch I had a harder time. I ended up with Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, bloodworms, krill, brine shrimp, and ocean cod fillets. What do you think? Think they'll love it?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Those are all good foods. I would use the bloodworms for all though. I use market shrimp for all my plecos, as well as my carnivores. Cucumber, spinach, lettuce, potatoes, peas (shelled), broccoli stems, apples, mangos, HBH's attack cichlid and beefheart are all things to add to your list.

Basically for plecos, if they are meat eaters, meats, if they aren't exclusively meat eaters, go for anything green, along with the availability of meats.

somthinsfishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
ogden, ut, us
Thanks Wyldfya. I asked the same question on plecofanatics, and I takes them a while to get to the point. First they have to ask about what plecs I have. Then they feel the need to tell me how to sink the veggies. Then when I tell them. They are amazed that I'm using fishing sinkers to help sink the veggies. They say watch out for the led. Well as many may or may not know, I would have to put a layer of led sinkers on the bottom of the tank for a while before it started to effect the fish. So I guess my plecs are feasting tonight. Thanks again for keeping it short and to the point.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Ive been doing a quick boil on the zuchinni and carrots with a clove of crushed garlic the plecs go nuts for it.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The only thing that my plecs have gone nuts for is mango. Other than that it is only on their terms, not when I want them to come out. Several foods will bring them out, but none as fast as a green mango.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Buy them on the green side, very firm. I have not had a problem with them fouling water. My plecs eat mango too fast.

somthinsfishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
ogden, ut, us
Well after feeding them the foods last night. Something clouded my water. I'm not sure if it was the food or if I need to do a water change and filter cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store