What's my Pleco doing??

whispyb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wisconsin
I am not sure just what kind of pleco this is, it's the kind that are always in every fish shop's tanks.... I never knew there were so many types of plecos... Anyway, my pleco is roughly 18" and it has recently been 'sucking' on my 24" pacu. The pleco will try to keep up with the pacu when it moves away. Sometimes the pacu will stay pretty still with the pleco kind of 'feeling' it all over, and sometimes the pacu will actually lay on it's side while the pleco 'sucks' on it. After a short time, the pacu starts to wriggle around and go to swim away and that is when the pleco seems to chase after it trying to latch unto it again. After the pacu swims away too fast for the pleco to keep up, the pleco seems to forget about the pacu for awhile. What is this pleco doing??? Is it trying to hurt the pacu? Does the pacu have something on it's body that the pleco is actually trying to eat?
Any advice/ opinions will be appreciated.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
hes trying to feed on the pacu's slime. its actually quite common for common plecos to do that on other fish if given the chance. he could actually hurt the pacu as his sucking might cause wounds on the pacu. had to say what to do... might need to separate but maybe a more meaty diet will help.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Your pleco has become large enough now that he has developed the need for a higher protein content. If you do not intervene you will end up with a dead pacu. 2 options to fixing the problem. 1. seperate the fish. 2. begin feeding shrimp to the pleco to eat, this may or may not work depending on if he has developed a taste for slime coats.

abpositive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Tempe, AZ
In my experience, an 18 inch plec needs a LOT of food.
They also require protein at that age/size.
Prawns, shrimp, chopped clams, oysters, whatever.
Also seriously UP the amount of zucchinni and cucumber etc.. that you are currently feeding.
It should solve your problem nicely.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Definitely feeding on slime coat. Try Hikari Varnivore sinking pellets to get him some protein!

whispyb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wisconsin
Thank you all very much. I will definately be acting on all your advice asap. I don't want anything bad to happen with either of them. I do understand that they need enough room.... at the moment they are in 550+ gals and if/when the time comes that isn't enough, I will be sure to have more room available for them. Thank you each again.

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
i think somthing might be wrong with your pacu for allowing that to happen i would keep a close eye on the pacu and up the protien in the plecos diet like the others said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store