Baracudas

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
I say some at the pet store and just wnated to know some info on them. It just said barracudas not sure what type. How large do they grow?? How big of a tank is needed?? should they be kept in groups?? any other info needed to know before I make a decision to buy one??

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
tell me abit about each. I want to learn about these guys and its so tough to find stuff online. Like tank requirements and diet and so on. And hard to talk to someone who has actually kept them. Like are they a hardy convict or sensitive like a discus. Do they need high ph or low. stuf like that.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Chago09;530698; said:
tell me abit about each. I want to learn about these guys and its so tough to find stuff online
:grinno:
Try the MFK search option :thumbsup:

SLANTED

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
There are many types listed as fw barracuda, such as the hujeta which is really a gar. Perhaps get a picture. . .

SLANTED

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
rumblesushi;531221; said:
Slanted, a hujeta is not a gar, it's a characin.

Right, not a true gar but Ctenolucius is commonly called a gar characin. I believe that is the only characin that is called that for some funny reason. But thanks for clarifying that.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Yeah sometimes it's called a slant nosed gar, there is also another characin that's often called marbled gar etc, the boulengerella. Neither of them are any more gars than the acestro species. Although to be fair, the bou maculata does look kind of like a gar. IMO a hujeta looks nothing like a gar.

SLANTED

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Right, they do that to a lot of gar types. For example the "needle nose gar" is of the genus Xenocara which is pretty from a gar but if you ask someone for a Xenocara dolichopterus most people would have no clue what you are talking about.

So Chago09, the moral of the story is common names can only be trusted to a point. So better to get a pic or positive ID of the "fw barracuda"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store