Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
i've had 3 x 35cm fellas

gruntaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
central coast, australia
oh ok kool. wat were they like? ive got one atm..had others but got killed. how long did they take to get that big? the one ive got hasnt gotten any bigger..

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
unfortunetly they are all deceased (power failure dammit)

I didn't grow them that big, caught them.

I currently have a little yella (4cm) and he doesn't seem to want to grow either, if you can keep a supply of natural foods such has worms shrimp and so on its easier to just catch a large one if you have acess to them, mine all ate shrimp and the little one currently eats worms and those little grey bugs you found in the garden (wood lice or whatever they are(slaters is another name). So far he is very shy and hides whenever i come near the tank so i haven't been able to get him on any other foods, although he does eat bloodworms that drift past so i am just trying to get him to become active and forage around with the other fish for them.

How big is your fellow?

gruntaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
central coast, australia
i had 3 two died.. they were larger. but the one ive still got ive had for months. hes only like 4cm as well. but hes quite tame. we ever i walk past or look in the tank he 'll swim over and just stare straight in my eyes. lol. he will only eat bloodworms or feeder fish. man wat did u keep 35 cm golden perch with? lol. the other two i had we're pretty crazy. id luv to have a huge one.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Kept them with eachother (3 yellas) and a equal sized tandanus.

Edit: your guy sounds like the opposite of mine, do you know what strain of yella yours is? Mines a murray strain (there is 3 strains, fascinating hey?)

gruntaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
central coast, australia
yeh it is fascinating..well i have no idea atm. but i think u can tell by like body shape cant u?? e.g how robust they are at different lengths.. i think i was reading sumthin where they showed to different strains together... the murray strain and bulloo river..i think the bulloo ones are a fair bit more heavily built.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yeah, its the Fitzroy/Dawson that i can't tell yet, not the murrays or ayres (ayre covers bulloo). A helpful way to tell ayres from murrays is that the ayres have deeper larger sensory pits on the underside of the bottom jaw (though this is alot easier to tell on larger fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store