PDA

View Full Version : Best food for asian arowana?

loveplecos
04-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Just got my new highback rtg. currently feeding on market prawns. I'm thinking what will be the best food for my aro if i want its colour to be striking other than market prawns? ADVISE ANYONE? :D

Majinn
04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
food is not the only factor that enhances the color. water para, lighting and it would depend on the gene i guess.. LFS would suggest centipedes.. i wouldnt bet on it 100%.. good luck!

reptileguy2727
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
High quality food and water are going to produce the best looking and healthiest fish. Lots of water changes and a high quality pellet are the way to go. I would feed New Life Spectrum. I had a silver on it at the shop I was running for only a few weeks and when a guy came in and saw it he paid what we were asking on the spot. When I fed it for him he bought the largest canister of that food we had in stock at the time on the spot as well.

loveplecos
04-24-2011, 1:12 PM
food is not the only factor that enhances the color. water para, lighting and it would depend on the gene i guess.. LFS would suggest centipedes.. i wouldnt bet on it 100%.. good luck!

High quality food and water are going to produce the best looking and healthiest fish. Lots of water changes and a high quality pellet are the way to go. I would feed New Life Spectrum. I had a silver on it at the shop I was running for only a few weeks and when a guy came in and saw it he paid what we were asking on the spot. When I fed it for him he bought the largest canister of that food we had in stock at the time on the spot as well.
what about mealworms or cricket? does this food enhace its colour too? :confused:

dayak
04-24-2011, 2:47 PM
they do sell new life spectrum at one of my LFS, gonna try that..especially my 12 inch aro get back to his pellet diets

JLSEF9
04-24-2011, 3:00 PM
If you want mass, super worms, market shrimp

dayak
04-24-2011, 3:13 PM
my fish just got done with the prawn diets, he is getting back to pellets so its good time to try that new life spectrum..
i never alter his diets, he choose his food and i give what he eats

leeishom
04-24-2011, 3:13 PM
Variety is key.

dayak
04-24-2011, 4:00 PM
i agree variety is the key, and mine choose his variety..

Marowana420
04-24-2011, 4:11 PM
frogs... but dont feed them to baby aros.

reptileguy2727
04-24-2011, 6:15 PM
The goal is a complete and balanced diet. In most cases variety is needed to achieve this, but with the right pellet they will get that with one food. Variety is not a nutrient.

Laben
04-26-2011, 6:05 PM
Variety is key.

:iagree:

Bizzaro
04-26-2011, 7:32 PM
Why not make your own food from beef heart and other stuff mix in?

Gshock
04-27-2011, 6:24 AM
The goal is a complete and balanced diet. In most cases variety is needed to achieve this, but with the right pellet they will get that with one food. Variety is not a nutrient.
What kind of pellet has every single necessary nutrient? I would REALLY love to know. From what I can tell, there hasn't been a single brand that has a pellet that can take away the need for variety.

i agree variety is the key, and mine choose his variety..
fail

CrAzYNeSs
04-27-2011, 6:51 AM
fail

LOLzor. I agree. It's like letting a baby or child choose what it wants to eat. It may be this same mentality or philosophy that is causing the US to have such massive amounts of morbid obesity issues. Not saying that your fish will get fat, but it definitely won't be as healthy.

Spiritofthesoul
04-27-2011, 7:08 AM
Hikari Food stick, feed sparely

reptileguy2727
04-27-2011, 8:54 AM
I have fed New Life Spectrum exclusively for years and the results are much better than any other diet I have ever tried. And it seems like every time someone on a forum tries it exclusively they almost always come up with the same results. The health, color, growth, and even breeding are better. The Thera+A formula has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites, but in general it greatly reduces the frequency of health problems.

LBathory
04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
variety. MP, high quality pellets, super worms, FD krill, etc.
Lighting and water param's have more to do with good coloration IMO. but most RTG's grow into their color within 2 years.

Gshock
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I have fed New Life Spectrum exclusively for years and the results are much better than any other diet I have ever tried. And it seems like every time someone on a forum tries it exclusively they almost always come up with the same results. The health, color, growth, and even breeding are better. The Thera+A formula has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites, but in general it greatly reduces the frequency of health problems.
I've tried both hikari and nls only diets and neither has worked. By feeding only dried pellet food I've noticed constipation sometimes and I've had to resort to using epsom salt. Im still finding variety the easiest.

reptileguy2727
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
How long did you feed NLS? Was it truly fed exclusively? (NOTHING else was fed at all?)

Gshock
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
How long did you feed NLS? Was it truly fed exclusively? (NOTHING else was fed at all?)
Yep, almost hit 3 months when both my rays and aros when I started to see literally no crap on the bottom, which is very rare. I looked closer and it turns out everything was crapping out some kind of powdery crap which was eventually fixed when I went back to feeding everything else. I do still feed pellets, but only in a mixture with "wet" foods.