Brackish question?

OscarHook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2005
Arkansas
what substrate for 30g brackish, sand or gravel? Thinking of Figure 8 puffer, climbing perch, bichirs, monos, scat, it will be a small growout for a bigger one in the future. So just give me a suggestion on the substrate and if you know of any other possible "different looking" brackish fish. Thanks

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I would go with sand, but either/or would be fine.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Aragonite or Crushed Coral

I don't think bichirs like brackish water. Scats grow pretty fast, and both climbing perches I had got their butts kicked by my Figure 8. Just my 2 cents.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
listen to radley he knows his stuff........but yea that bichir won't suvive in brackish.....they are freshwater............

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
dougefresh;535019; said:
listen to radley he knows his stuff........but yea that bichir won't suvive in brackish.....they are freshwater............
Thanks doug,

dougefresh knows his bichirs better than I do, but I know brack. If I were you I would not get a scat or a mono in such a small tank. I here monos can be pretty aggresive and Figure 8s are evil little monsters when they are in small places. You could go with an archer because they grow pretty slowly and only get 8 inches where scats get double that. Also, a lot of killies make great brackishi fish. If you can get them, get some. Here are a few pics of my killies. Also, hogchokers only get 4 inches max and would be good for a 30 gallon. Wait on the monos and scats for now even though they are pretty fish.

Pipefish and brackish hermits just as a teaser. No hermits with puffers. :eek:

ferco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Scotland
i would sugest sand; it looks better but it doens't REALLY matter i don't think... gravel is probably easier- easier to clean- so mabye that would be better, i personally had sand for my Brackish Archers. I like the sound of crushed coral...:perv:

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
I disagree with that scat/archer growth theory. I got a scat and my archer both around the same time, my archer has nearly doubled in size where as my scat has stayed practically the same in a years ammount of time.... maybe because the archer hogs all the food though.

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
RadleyMiller;536181; said:
Thanks doug,

dougefresh knows his bichirs better than I do, but I know brack. If I were you I would not get a scat or a mono in such a small tank. I here monos can be pretty aggresive and Figure 8s are evil little monsters when they are in small places. You could go with an archer because they grow pretty slowly and only get 8 inches where scats get double that. Also, a lot of killies make great brackishi fish. If you can get them, get some. Here are a few pics of my killies. Also, hogchokers only get 4 inches max and would be good for a 30 gallon. Wait on the monos and scats for now even though they are pretty fish.

Pipefish and brackish hermits just as a teaser. No hermits with puffers. :eek:
I disagree with that scat/archer growth theory. I got a scat and my archer both around the same time, my archer has nearly doubled in size where as my scat has stayed practically the same in a years ammount of time.... maybe because the archer hogs all the food though.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
OscarHook;534773; said:
what substrate for 30g brackish, sand or gravel? Thinking of Figure 8 puffer, climbing perch, bichirs, monos, scat, it will be a small growout for a bigger one in the future. So just give me a suggestion on the substrate and if you know of any other possible "different looking" brackish fish. Thanks
You may want to mix crushed coral and gravel for substrate. As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't go much past 1.003 SG for the bichirs, as they are FW. However, you could substitute a related reedfish for the bichirs. They are known to occur in FW and light BW conditions. Climbing perches occur in FW and light BW, so they should be fine as long as you don't go past 1.010 SG. Scats and monos will outgrow your 30 gallon. You may also wish to consider knight gobies, Stigmatogobius sandanundio, as they are commonly available and rather attractive, IMO.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
RadleyMiller;536181; said:
[/IMG]
No hermits with puffers. :eek:
hehe, at least your puffer's teeth were filed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store