Nandus sp. fish...

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
I was looking through old MFK threads and saw that guppy posted a pic of a Nandus nebulosos. I was confused since it looked exactly like a pic of a Monocirrhus Polyacanthus that I saw on Aquascape's website. I posted the pic of the Nandus that Guppy posted below. Is that what a nebulosos looks like? Or is that a SA leaf fish (i.e. Monocirrhus Polyacanthus)???

I know that the Nandus nandus gets to about 7-8 inches. How big does the Nandus nebulosos get? I've heard 5 inches, but I wanted to be sure. Is there another Nandus species that gets to about 6 inches? Something in between the Nandus nandus and Nandus nebulosos? Anyone know where to get the nebulosos species?

Does anyone know how big the Nandus slaty blue sp. gets?

Thanks

Brian

1.JPG

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
here is a pic of a Monocirrhus Polyacanthus from Aquascape's website

ALSO - does anyone have any pics of a Slaty blue Nandus?

untitled.JPG

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Now I've been reading several websites about Nandus nebulosos where one website says it only grows to 7cm and another website says it grows to 12cm. I assume that not a lot is known about the Nanidae family :confused:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...es?q=Nandus+nebulosus&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=X

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...es?q=Nandus+nebulosus&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=X

Come to think of it, has anyone actually seen a full grown 8 inch Nandus nandus even? I'm thinking they don't even get that big. Maybe 7 inches.

I found some pics of Nandus nebulosos

fish-w49.jpg

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
I will post some pics of Nandus nandus just for comparisons sake so everyone can see the differences between Leaf fish species.

Nandus nandus.JPG

Nandusnandus.JPG

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Here are the only pics I found of a Nandus sp. Andrewi Slatey Blue Leaf fish. Some are from Fugupuff's thread. And Wes says that the Blue Nandus only gets upto about 3 inches.

thumb_nandus_andrewi4.jpg

slaty1.JPG

slaty.JPG

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The nebulosus is harder to find and looks pretty much like the Monocirrhus but lacks the chin barbel, it also has a slightly broader portion of the tail being colorless, the largest I have seen was just under 3" TL.
The Monocirrhus get a little bigger (not much) and have a slightly more "dished" forehead.
The largest Nandus nandus I have seen was just under 8" TL and the largest I have kept was around 7".
I have never seen the slaty blue variety.

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
guppy;537278; said:
The nebulosus is harder to find and looks pretty much like the Monocirrhus but lacks the chin barbel, it also has a slightly broader portion of the tail being colorless, the largest I have seen was just under 3" TL.
The Monocirrhus get a little bigger (not much) and have a slightly more "dished" forehead.
The largest Nandus nandus I have seen was just under 8" TL and the largest I have kept was around 7".
I have never seen the slaty blue variety.
thanks for posting Guppy. Maybe there are different Nandus nebulosus sp? Because the first pic I poted in this thread (if it is indeed a nebulosus) looks more like a Monocirrhus and the nebulosus pics I found look more like a Nandus nandus.

I'm hesitant in getting a Nandus nandus just because I fear that they may eat my Leopard Ctenopomas. I've read all of your posts (as well as some other members such as jelly, dr_sudz, etc) saying that they have amazing mouth sizes so I'm scared!

Brian

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
i'd love one

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
The nandus nandus that I kept seemed to prefer fish in the large molly and platy range, I would guess that if the nandus started out a bit smaller than the ctenopoma and grew out with it prestent, that the leopard would be safe. There is some risk though. What seemed to trigger the quickest feeding response in both species were fish of a lighter body build about 1/2 their length that moved around alout, esp. in small but almost constant increments.
As an aside, there apparently is another Nandus very close in size to the nebulosus http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache....pdf+asian+leaf+fish&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
I keep looking at that pic and am beginning to think it is an SA, not a N.n., the young N.n.s are very similar but get fuller bodied quickly. Also I was looking at the one pic I can find of what was sold to me as a N.n. and I think that they might have been Polycentrus schromburgki? instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store