Giant Gourami

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
Hi,

I bought the above at the weekend, believing them to be placid creatures who would get along with my tankmates well. Actually it has been very aggressive towards my Giraffe cat which has its dorsal fin ripped up and has taken quite a beating. They are supposed to be quite calm and placid, any ideas why its so aggressive and is there anything i can do to try to change it?? The Giant is about the same length as the giraffe at about 8 inches, though a bit deeper.

Another thing, where the dorsal fin has been bitten, 1 of the strands in particular is a blood red colour, is this because it is inflamed or what??

Thanks,

Carl.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
if you have a red tail giant then you ill see agression for a while. ive seen red tails be tank glass snappers at fingers, chasing all my fish around, picked on my silver aro and its over 18 inches longer then the gourami.

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
So what did you do?? How long will he be nasty for??

Carl.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
im still dealing with it lol. i jus kno they show agression but i dont kno at what age they stop. im assuming as they get older hey get more mature. but personally ive noticed agression up to about 10" or so.

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
giant grouami are mean fish he will always be that way theres a 16" 1 at a lfs it kicks oscer arse whenever it gets near him.

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
But its weird how he only goes for the giraffe though. He doesn't go for the whipray or the shovelnoses, but i think the shovelnoses would bite him back as they have huge mouths, where as the giraffe can't bite. I think i'll have to take him back.

Carl.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
its up to you bro, when i first threw him in, first thing he did was man up and start defending himself. after he realizes noones trying to eat him, he may calm down. its jus a defense part that kicked in when he was new to the tank. i haven't noticed as much agression lately. jus him eating pellets lol

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
So how long have you had him now??

Carl.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
only about 2 months. he seems more calm then when i first brought him home. nowhere near as bad as it used to be. he jus picks, dont cause any harm tho.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
ethnics;540041; said:
its up to you bro, when i first threw him in, first thing he did was man up and start defending himself. after he realizes noones trying to eat him, he may calm down. its jus a defense part that kicked in when he was new to the tank. i haven't noticed as much agression lately. jus him eating pellets lol
mine was the same he kept haveing a go at my giraffe for about two weeks or so then he calmed down and he doesn't bother any one , hes realy laid back

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store