Feeding Info

versicolor

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
San Diego
I had my plecos for three weeks now and I really don't see them eat, which worries me. I'm trying to find something that will make them come out of hiding, so that I may know that they are still alive. Any ideas?

Here is what i have:

L-24 redfin cactus
L-25 scarlet
L-114 leopard
L-160 coffee and cream
L-172 gold heterodon
L-240
L-264 sultan
an adonis
and three tiny albino bushynose

The sultan and adonis are the only plecos I don't have problems with. I've tried pieces of shrimp, silversides, bloodworms, and different kinds of carnivorous pellets, along with an assortment of fruits and veggies for my other plecos, but they don't really go crazy for anything.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Give them a few more weeks. Many plecos won't be seen much at all. Consider a moonlight. HBH cichlid attack works ok. Beefheart and shrimp work well. All you can do is give them some time.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
try different types of worms too... theres any number of feeding plecs threads, theres a whole lot of food out there they will eat, meat and veg. thats quite a collection over a couple of weeks. would love to see some pics

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
My plecs stayed out of sight to the point that I thought they were dead. Then they appeared one day twice the size, LOL. They're mostly active when the lights are out, otherwise, they're hiding in the decor.

I would feed them with the lights out. Veggies, shrimp. beef heart, strapped to a rock usually brings them out of hiding.

Drowning

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
eugene, or
Most of those meat eaters you get there would be hard pressed to resist blood worms. What size tank do you have them in? If you have those types in a smaller tank, they are very likely to be territorial and fight. You have some that can inflict damage so if you do have them in a small tank they might be more inclined to hide.

I agree with giving it some time. Three weeks isnt a ton of time to settle in. Once they do settle in they should come out and eat regardless of time of day.

Show them off! Lets get some pics!

Drowning

versicolor

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
San Diego
They are all in a hundred gallon right now. I just bought some beefheart, live brine, and that hbh cichlid attack that everyone is talking about.

I have a 180 that's ready to go, but I have to get rid of the Mbu puffer that's in there first. He nips on the adonis' tail. So if anyone wants a MBU PUFFER, refer them to me. Pick up only in San Diego. It's about 5.5 to 6 inches head to the tip of the tail (had him for 3 to 4 months when he was only 3 inches). I didn't want to mention it until I had a decent picture of it to post. Anyway, I'll start a different thread on that later.

Back to the topic, the only aggression I see is between the adonis and the L240 galaxy. the L240 thinks he's tough stuff and the adonis is twice his size and shows him who's boss. I have plenty of driftwood and caves for them to hide in and I plan on throwing the scarlet, redfin cactus and adonis in the 180 once the MBU is gone.

And for the photos, once they come out of hiding, I will be firing away with my camera!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store