? about my plecos dorsal fin...

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
Greetings everyone,

A couple of days ago I noticed a small round hole on my plecos dorsal fin, smaller than the size of this "0". I have now noticed this has become a vertical tear from the top of the fin almost to the insertion point. I have not noticed any agressive behavior towards the pleco and it doesn't look like a nip. I do have a large crayfish and wonder if it could be a tear from a pincer... The fins on my other fish look fine so I am wondering what it might be. Any thoughts on this? Thanks Tom

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
my plecs have torn up fins too sometimes. nothing to worry about as long as there is no sign of any external parasite/fungus etc. they can get it from fights or when they make a sudden movement and scrape hit the wood. normally it will heal pretty fast and in a week it should be hard to notice.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if its just from a scuffle, or by it scraping on something, it'll grow back ok. fins, especially dorsal and tail do tear, but theyll heal. crayfish i wouldnt have thought was a particularly suitable tankmate for other fish

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The fins will grow back no problem. What kind of crayfish is it? I personally would not have crays with plecos, but I have seen it done without any problems.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
o another thing i might add, if its a carnivorous pleco, i have heard of them munching the shell of lobsters/crayfish... might be something

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
My big pleco gets fin tears alot (from fights or getting spooked) they heal pretty quick.

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
Well I am glad to know others have had similiar situations and it's no cause for alarm. As far as I know my pleco is a common, according to my lfs and not carnivorous. I am unsure what type of crayfish I have though. I would say it's about 3 1/2 " long and a brownish grey color. Thanks again Tom

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Post a picture, there are several species that are within the title of common pleco. It is carnivorous, it just may not have reached the proper stage. Generally around the size of 16-18" p. lipardis, h plecostomus, h. punctatus become a hunters. I recently got rid of a 12" chocolate, h. plecostomus color morph, that had already become a hunter. They will swim near the top of the aquarium and drop on top of unsuspecting fish and with their weight hold the fish down while they work the body to their mouth to suck the fish to death.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
WyldFya;541736; said:
Post a picture, there are several species that are within the title of common pleco. It is carnivorous, it just may not have reached the proper stage. Generally around the size of 16-18" p. lipardis, h plecostomus, h. punctatus become a hunters. I recently got rid of a 12" chocolate, h. plecostomus color morph, that had already become a hunter. They will swim near the top of the aquarium and drop on top of unsuspecting fish and with their weight hold the fish down while they work the body to their mouth to suck the fish to death.
lol, that isnt a common occurence, but many "commons" eat meat, as most plecos are omnivorous. i've had a few of different species commonly sold as commons, and a lot of the time, if i give them shelled prawn, they only devour the shell, as opposed to the flesh beneath...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store