Need my 2 plecos ID

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Both are "commons". Common pleco is a term for generally around 4 species, but can include up to 30 species. THe first one is pterygoplichthys pardalis, the second is a hypostomus plecostomus or h. punctatus.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
H. plecosomus should only get to be 20" roughly, but can get larger. I have had a h. plecostmus hit the 21.5" mark. H. punctatus will top out around 12", and p. pardalis will top out around 18". These are rough sizes, that are commonly what they grow to, but they have the potential to grow larger.

T time

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
I'm not sure that there is a Hypostomus sp. that grows to 18". I dont think that the fish with the spotted belly is a Hypostomus sp. The first fish with the striped belly is def. a Liposarcus pardalis.

Check the amount of dorsal rays on the second fish. If it has 7-8 then it is a hypostomus but if it has 9-11 then it is a Liposarcus sp. and could be some sort of hybird (gibby x common) or other common sp. (Glyptoperichthys or Liposarcus)

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
T time;542110;542110 said:
I'm not sure that there is a Hypostomus sp. that grows to 18". I dont think that the fish with the spotted belly is a Hypostomus sp. The first fish with the striped belly is def. a Liposarcus pardalis.

Check the amount of dorsal rays on the second fish. If it has 7-8 then it is a hypostomus but if it has 9-11 then it is a Liposarcus sp. and could be some sort of hybird (gibby x common) or other common sp. (Glyptoperichthys or Liposarcus)
Liposarcus pardalis is an old invalid name. It is now pterygoplichthys pardalis. Hypostomus plecostomus gets to be 20", as well as a few others.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The entire genus liposarcus has been eliminated. There are no species within this genus any longer.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I do believe you are correct though, it does appear that the dorsal on that second plec is too large for a hypostomus plecostomus. however, it lacks the stripes of a pterygoplichthys species, and has the spots of a hypostomus species.

T time

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
I did a little research and have a friend who had asked Jon Armbruster himself this question.

Liposarcus is a sub genera of Pterygoplichthys. So Liposarcus is not neccesarily a invalid genus but more like a dead genus that will mostly likely not have any new additions. The name Liposarcus is still a "valid" name and will mostly likely continue to be published in literature.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
T time;542358; said:
I did a little research and have a friend who had asked Jon Armbruster himself this question.

Liposarcus is a sub genera of Pterygoplichthys. So Liposarcus is not neccesarily a invalid genus but more like a dead genus that will mostly likely not have any new additions. The name Liposarcus is still a "valid" name and will mostly likely continue to be published in literature.
good to know, ive read a few new articles that still used liposarcus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store