Columbian Catshark in freshwater only?

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Asian_Redtail_Catfish;544595; said:
I know they are brackish water fishes..BUT some people kept them in only freshwater for a long time and they lived..Please share your experience in keeping in freshwater and for how long?
They grow a lot faster in brackish and need full salt/high brackish when adults. The LFS has 4 one footers in their salt system

marvinbaker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2006
canterbury
kept 2 from about 3", one grew to about 6" and died and then the other one lasted about 9mths and got to a foot long and was fine but then one day just came home and it lost the all balance and died. wouldn't keep them in all freshwater tank again

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I'll admit that I've never kept them but everything I've never read a single account of successfully keeping them long term in freshwater. like RadleyMiller said they'll do much better in brackish and eventually high end brackish to full marine as adults.

:)

mjryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Harrison Twp, Mi
yeah, dont keep them in freshwater

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
RadleyMiller;544796; said:
They grow a lot faster in brackish and need full salt/high brackish when adults. The LFS has 4 one footers in their salt system
yep they look great in full salt tanks as well

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
had 2 that were kept in fw and grew 8-9". they ate pellets, sticks,krill and worms. one day both got sick and died. that was before i started using aquarium salt. don't know if that makes a difference though

Chris006

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Brick
I live very near to a water way to connecting to the point plesant beach. Can I use the water from this water way for my brackishwater tank?:confused:

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
I wouldn't. It's not hard to mix your own. Get some RO water, some marine salt and a hydrometer and you're set. Using outside water like that could introduce some problems to your tank. You're better off doing it yourself.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Chris006;1433855; said:
I live very near to a water way to connecting to the point plesant beach. Can I use the water from this water way for my brackishwater tank?:confused:
It's very likely any waterways connecting to a beach could have contaminants. It's fairly common for water near shore and water flowing into the ocean to have certain types of runoff.

At the least you might end up with a pretty bad algae bloom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store