what do i do plec acting dead!?!

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
my pleco is basically acting dead all of a sudden, hes a common about 13". Stopped moving I try to pick it up... and it is still barely moving, looks like its gills are barely going... and all of a sudden outta nowhere one of his eyes is no longer there!?! just a hole where the socket is... I feel bad for him/her... what should i do guys, let nature take its course and see if it somehow makes it? or what?!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Sounds like he is in the final stages of life. Something went wrong. What are your water params? was there any sign of parasites/fungas? Was he eating well, and pooping normally, and normal color?

Aussienative

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Australia
What fish are in there with him???? any sharp edges of rocks or driftwood?

If it were mine, i'd pull him out of that tank and quarentine him. bump the temp up, add salt and melafix, no lights and give him a log or something to hide in/under.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
nothign sharp in the tank, no signs of fungus or anything... water params should be fine, he was looking lethargic before my water change... but I changed my water a little bit ago. its a 125 gallon tank, my other large plec in there is looking just fine... :-/

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
What color was his poo? Is his stomach sunken? How many places are there that are large enough for the two to claim for territories?

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
well his stomache might be a little thin, but not like a cave or anything... thre was a few places, but they usually got along and hung out together... I dont see much poo... i think it sinks into the gravel..

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Can't help but to wonder if your other pleco had something to do with this.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
lol.... well im assuming he's gonna die... do i let him do it overnight and just pluck him out in the morn if I find him dead? or is that mean?

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I'd pull him, and give him the clove oil. I would bet that it is from your other pleco and the lack of numerous large hiding spots. The fighting can become pretty intense between larger plecos. How big was the other?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store