Help from the experts?

cdf_1873

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2006
Maumelle, AR
Since i know you guys in here know more about plecs than i do i was hoping to get some advise i need to know what you would get for a 55 planted its fairly dense so nothing to big or that will eat the plants and also i have a 55 demansoni colony and was thinking of a fancy plec that does not need driftwood and will eat algae so i'm open for suggestions.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Well for a 55 I would stick to a plec that stays under 10" full size. As to not eating plants, well, that is kind of hard to do, if you feed them properly they will not harm your plants much at all. A healthy planted tank can sustain several plecos, without damaging the plant life, as the plants will grow back faster than they can be eaten. Now a fancy plec that does not need driftwood indicates for the most part a carnivore. One that will eat algae will also need wood, it is kind of a package deal.

Now we need more specifics, what are your parameters of the tank? What kind are you looking for? Striped, colored, spotted, common colorations, BN, rare? How much are you willing to spend? Do you have some form of sanctuary where this plec could hide, since you lack wood? With this knowledge we can help point you in the right direction.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
not having bogwood cuts it down, not completely but its a start. hypancistrus species are good, a lot of them are small, and very attractive. there are also the rubberlip plecos, and they would also eat algae, again very small plecs. there are an awful lot of plecos under 10" out there and quite a lot wont harm you're plants, its pretty much up to you, but remember a lot of plecs always need different care, they're not all the same. basically all plecos will thrive if your pH is around 6.5-7.5, and probably slightly higher and lower too.

OscarHook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2005
Arkansas
i told you CDF, i win the bet. The species suggestions are just flying at you, arent they:ROFL:

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Oto's are great for a planted tank (I keep 5.)

Max out at 1-1.5". They like being in groups, so buy atleast 6, I'd recommend 12, as some will die off for what-ever reason.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
OscarHook;552442; said:
i told you CDF, i win the bet. The species suggestions are just flying at you, arent they:ROFL:
well with 600+ plecos, and so many being under 10" and would do fine in a planted tank with out bogwood, there is still an awful lot to choose from. BNs, hypancistrus, leporacanthicus, some peckoltia, chaetostoma etc etc. theres probably over 100 BN's and chaetostoma (admittadly not all available, but a lot are). worlds your oyster in this instance

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Problem being which one eats algae, not leporacanthicus, not hypancistrus, ok with the peckoltia, good with chaetostoma and bn, but neither of the two that are good at eating algae look good IMO.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
o i missed the algae eating bit. BNs and chaetostoma are your best bet. or of course the otos. i duno there are some pretty good looking BNs. the L183 we were just discussing for example. they prefer the blackwater environment, which bogwood is good at imitating, but i had no trouble keeping them.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Yeah, kind of a tough call what with the requirements. Although a lot of people do like the bns, I personally do not.

OscarHook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2005
Arkansas
his planted tank he doesnt want anything big, but that on has driftwood in it. Its the Demasoni colony that has no driftwood, and right now is loaded with algea. I told him bristlenose since that is what i have in my 75g african. Just trying to make sure you guys know there is driftwood in one tank and not in another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store