Inverts converted to Brackish?

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
Does anyone know of any or have any cool inverts you've converted to live in brackish waters? Such as hermit crabs, etc. etc.??

And if so, what was the salinity? I'd really like to add some life to my brackish tank..

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Inverts are the most sensitive of all to salinity change. I'm sure if you attempt such a task you will end up having a bunch of dead animals on your hands. Don't do it. Converting any marine fish from salt to brackish is a bad move and only kills/shortens the life of the animals. If you want marine animals then you will have to setup a "marine" tank. If you wante brackish then setup a brackish tank. Don't mix the 2 worlds together and waist life, and your money.
Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's the fact of the matter. :popcorn:

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
Justin_James;551789; said:
Inverts are the most sensitive of all to salinity change. I'm sure if you attempt such a task you will end up having a bunch of dead animals on your hands. Don't do it. Converting any marine fish from salt to brackish is a bad move and only kills/shortens the life of the animals. If you want marine animals then you will have to setup a "marine" tank. If you wante brackish then setup a brackish tank. Don't mix the 2 worlds together and waist life, and your money.
Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's the fact of the matter. :popcorn:
Im aware of this fact, so no need to go MFK-Fish-Nazi on me haha... but Ive heard of several people converting SUCSESSFULLY certain types... such as snails or hermits of the sort, so i was curious as to which would be BEST to attempt to AVOID unnecasary waste of life.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I have some hermit crabs, but they were collected from an estuary with a brackish salinity. Do not try it with LFS hermits, they are from tropical, marine habitats.

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Sorry if I came off strong but i've seen these threads about people switching marine animals to brackish and even fresh so often that I try to make an example not only for you but all the other people who have heard the same crazy things to see and save them money and prevent killing some very nice fish/inverts. I'm aware that you were just following from what you have heard in the past but I strongly suggest not to try it. You allready have a brackish tank so why not just take the extra step and setup a small salt tank. That way you will find yourself satisfied. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store