another siniperca chuatsi question

fish speaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
NC, USA
My lfs has one of these that I'm sure I'll decide to pick up this week, as I research them here. :D I know several members keep these fish. What can you tell me about minimum tank requirements? The one at my lfs is maybe 4" right now, and I know it will most likely grow very quickly. I have empty of tanks of all sizes, up to a couple of 268-gallon tanks that I'll be setting up over the next few months (6' long x 2' wide x 3' deep...desplay tanks from a Chinese restaurant, ironically), so _probably_ have the volume.

I have seen references to a profile or article on the species...if there is such a thing, please just point me to it. I think I've read through all the threads with the name mentioned.

Thanks!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
It should be fine in one of your big tanks. I've read that max size is 24", but I've never seen one that big. The potential is there though.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The main thing I can offer is if kept with other fish, those fish must be at least the same size as the S chuatsi. Mine has taken down fish up to 2/3rds it's own size. I kept mine in slightly alkaline conditions with a temp of 77F and a ton of aeration by way of additional 400gph powerheads. I started the powerheads up, beyond just using the W/D return, when i noticed my perch starting to do some rapid breathing.

Here's a pic of one about 1/2 grown at 15":

Siniperca chuatsi.jpg

fish speaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
NC, USA
Follow-up question: The one at the lfs has lots of red. I have only seen a few pics posted here that have that kind of coloration. Does the color fade with size, or is the coloration highly variable?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I believe it fades with size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store