Biggest type

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Which Plecos Can get the biggest plus still Look Good? Sorry. But im making a pond and Want a realy cool looking one that last yrs. 1500G i think its going to be. And does anyone have any pic of Plecos in ponds?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
What do you consider looking good? What temps will your water reach at night in the winter?

The biggest pleco is the LDA65 Titanic pleco. Oddball use to have one, and they max out at near 3'. IMO the biggest good looking pleco would be megalancistrus species. Of the species that look really good, the biggest would be hypostomus luteus in its gold stage, or royals (particularly L027, and L330).

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Here is one of my old commons that was given away. In the picture it is being housed in a 300 gallon pond.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
I dont know how cold the water will get. But im not going to have heated, So which can last ine cold temps?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I wouldn't recommend keeping a titanic, or any tropica species, in an unheated CA pond. Without so much as a passive heating system, the water will drop into the 40s in the winter and rise to over 90 in the summer. 1500 gals isn't enough volume to keep a stable temp. I had to use passive heating in the winters and shading in the summers to keep my 5800 gal pond somewhat stable. And, that was in IB.
Keep in mind that a filtered pond has a greater temp fluctuation than an unfiltered pond. The more you have air to water contact, the more the air temp will affect water temp.

hpanaquebar.jpg

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
youll be lucky to have one of the commons survive unheated. i suggest heating if you still want a pleco. oddball...never get bored of that pic!

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Maybe i can tranfer him in and out around summer n winter. How about that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store