Breeding behavior question?

somthinsfishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
ogden, ut, us
I was wondering if plecos display a certain type of behavior when they are spawning or getting ready to. I know the behavior of malawi, and tang. cichlids, but this is my first go at breeding plecos. I'm talking in general also, not just one perticular pleco. Also what exactally is a pleco looking for when they choose a spot to lay their clutch? I've already sent my plecs through a dry season simulation. Now I've begun the rainy season. Doing 30% water changes daily, using slightly cooler water to lower the tank temp a little. I've been doing the water changes for one week now. Now I'm letting it rest for a few days before I begin the process again. I've noticed that every time I start taking out the 30% the plecos get a little skittish. Then when I fill the tank they go nutz scurrying all over. Almost as if they just pounded 5 red bulls. Is this normal? Any comments are appreciated. Let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ok well if we are being general, and assuming cave spawners...
1. they need a cave. usually depending on species it is roughly twice the dimensions of a pleco-twice as high twice as wide etc. also best be safe with one entrance/exit. there should be a good flow anyway with plecos, but the flow should be going laterally to the cave entrance/exit, across the opening. this just allows max oxygen flow into the cave, and that there is no stagnent water-so eggs dont get fungus etc.
2. like you said a lot of plecs are triggered by the temperature. basically, the drop in water level and then sudden increase in water level, with cooler water simulates the rains- breeding time!
3. usually the female is the one that picks the mate, and you will find that they sometimes pair off-same two always together. females sometimes known to follow males around. you'll know if it happens because you'll know the sex. when you can tell what sex they are chances are they are able to breed. say imbetween 2/3rds to fully grown is sexually mature.

also, provide a number of suitable spawning sites, then they can pic and choose what is best for them aswell, maybe all at slightly different angles, heights sizes etc etc.
sometimes, eggs wont be fertilized and can take a couple of attempts as some do "test runs"

well it does change from pleco to pleco but its a guide. i do wish you luck

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Very well summed up davo. I'd like to add that if you breed multiple plecos in the same tank, offer at least 3 suitable spawning sites per pair, or set, of plecos.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
for the L260s it is just a case of bringing up the temperature a couple of degrees to 28/30, to simulate the dry season (lower water if needed too) when you can see a female is gravid or a male is showing off near a cave spawning site and the female maybe following him around. then do a 70-80% cooler water change (simulate wet season) and remember the monumental powerhead to make sure for the maximum flow and maximum oxygen levels (need it because of increased temperature. heres a link from a reknown breeder http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=98. also heres a link of an article iput together from different sources that will help with the cave sizes and for general breeding of hypancistrus http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30161

Not many people have suceeded breeding royals, but i have read it has been done in a reasonably large tank using long pipes for a breeding site. they simulated the dry season with low water levels increased temp and keeping the water relatively still for a couple of weeks and then filling up the 70-80% with cooler "rainwater" and they spawned in a few days. it might work for you if you have smaller sp. of royals, cant remember which ones you had, but this attempt might be a long shot.

well the ancistrus sp. will be no problem for you. heres some info i gave ages ago, and its pretty much what i did with sucess http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20660&highlight=breeding+ancistrus it has some other links on there too for more info, i have personally used the second one.

for your L262s it is pretty much the same (if not identicle) to breeding your arabesque, as they are closely related fish and come from the same river so just do the same for the two.

the L200s hmm thats more tough. it has been done, but not by many people at all. all i can tell you for sure is they are most probably a cave breeder, and id just try the same kind of thing with them as you do the hypancistrus. you can always talk L200s with wyldfya lol.

for the peckoltia L134 i suggest you read this article, its another one of jannes - http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=241 fantastic article imo.

If your clown is panaque maccus, it should be easy to breed, just the whole dry season wet season duo, but heres a snippit from planetcatfish- "The fish should be maintained for two months under dry season conditions (see above) with thrice weekly feedings of frozen foods. In preparation for breeding, add a power head and air stone to the tank, unplug the heater, and begin making 20 percent daily water changes with cool rain or reverse osmosis water. The temperature should be allowed to fall to 70-72F. After four water changes, plug the heater back in and wait for the spawn. If, after one month, the fish have not spawned start the process over again. It may take a few cycles to get the fish spawning. Provide various sized spawning caves made from PVC or slate. The caves should be just large enough to allow the female (which is larger) to squeeze in and five to six inches in length."
A few things, it would probably be better to try and do them in separate breeding tanks, but some like the p. maccus and hypancistrus, you could probably do them together- might get crosses though!

If they are cave breeders, it is good for the caves to be a tight fit for the two adults.

Please remember FOOD. This is pretty damn important when breeding, be sure to feed lots of veg and meat and lots of it. Keep ‘em happy and then you’ll be ok!
Hope this all helps, good luck steve

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
davo;554728; said:
the L200s hmm thats more tough. it has been done, but not by many people at all. all i can tell you for sure is they are most probably a cave breeder, and id just try the same kind of thing with them as you do the hypancistrus. you can always talk L200s with wyldfya lol.
Yep, I'm the guy to talk to about L200 breeding. That's all I do anymore. Sit around and see what I can do to improve their way of life. They are cave breeders.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
do you know anyone thats done it wyldfya. i know its been done a couple of times, but never talked to any of those people

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
No, and I have only heard of one reputable confirmed source. Which was in the UK, and I'm not paying the phone bill for that call. I know Barbie in spokane is going to start an L128 breeding attempt. I am going to head up to her place one of these days, and swap some data/observations.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
sounds good. well im in the UK and havent bumped into them. if i do, i'll be sure to let you know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store