aggressive rhino

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I baught a 6-7" rhino about a month ago.

They tend to be somewhat agressive but mine had a chip on its shoulder.
He ran off every plec, loach, and sometimes the tetras. He'd not just spook them away, but tear across the tank after them. I tried moving the decor around, but 2 days later he was back at it.

I took him back.

I'm not sure how to sex them, sorry.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Sexing rhinos is the same as any other pleco, males can be somewhat verified by odontode growth. But the only sure fire is to check the sexual papilla.

As to aggression, it is more likely that you have a male. In general male plecos are territorial, and will gaurd there territory. Your may just be a little more aggressive. IME they have been pretty docile, but I have never kept them over 10".

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
they can be reasonably agressive, moreso with age. as wyldfya said its more often males are more disruptive, females are just more nomadic and dont have much of a territory. maybe he has found a territory and is fending off other fish. i wouldnt worry about it. o males papilla sticks out, females is flat or slightly concave

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Very difficult to breed. I would try at least 2 female:1 male if you do want to try breeding.

davo;554741; said:
they can be reasonably agressive, moreso with age. as wyldfya said its more often males are more disruptive, females are just more nomadic and dont have much of a territory. maybe he has found a territory and is fending off other fish. i wouldnt worry about it. o males papilla sticks out, females is flat or slightly concave

Davo, I can't find any of my old photos showing male vs. female papilla. Do you have one in your collection of photos?

SuPraScOObY

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
SIN City
I have a 11" rhino and hes fairly aggressive esp with territory and food. He used to stalk my commons (13" x 2) in the tank but didn't mind the little ones (3"). He even strikes my vacuum occasionally! In the end he's the one I kept though due to personality and his ability to keep my glass CLEAN!

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
rhinos can be agressive. it would be more likely it saw the commons as more of a territorial threat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store