FreshWater Stonefish/lionfish/toadfish info plzzzzz

Teagu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2006
England
Hi

I have recently purchesed a freshwater stone fish and i was just wondering:

what fish i can keep him with (please give me an exaple of the fish aswell) ,what to feed him and how big will he grow

thanks

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I had one for a couple of months before it croaked on me. I heard that they are more brackish water than fresh water. When it comes to tank mate...pretty much, fish that it can't eat. When I had mine, it was mellow and got along with the other fish and didn't bother them. But since it is brackish, I would say Archers and Scats maybe?

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
I got one a while back. It was pretty cool too watch eat and look at but thats pretty much it. Not active at all but still cool. I had mine eating feeders cuz i wouldnt take anything else. You can probably get it to eat something else but i was not successful. lol. As far as tankmates basically anything that cant fit in their huge mouths. Their mouths are pretty big in comparison with their body so put fish that are the same size or larger but not skinny fish like bala sharks cuz they will be eaten. I had some large pbass, catfish, african pike, and a pleco with mine so hope this helps. GL with yours bro.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
Teagu;558048;558048 said:
Hi

I have recently purchesed a freshwater stone fish and i was just wondering:

what fish i can keep him with (please give me an exaple of the fish aswell) ,what to feed him and how big will he grow

thanks
well I also have had it before,but my advice is never combine it with any fish except for its prey,because i have mine who is always pecked by other fish and if you have an aggressive fish,might as well take chunks of him,coz to some fish he might look as if it is just simply a food,rock,algae and others look like a mudstone.

the toadfish/rockfish/frogfish is an ambush predator that is using its lure at its forehead to lure its prey and devouring it it split seconds,its large mouth can swallow a fish equal its size,I have mine dead I dont know why I just seen him dead and regurgitated 4 adult guppies..I think these fishes are better in brackish/saltwater..And I may say they are best left in the wild rather in home aquaria

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
I've kept a FW lionfish (toadfish) before... Best to keep in brackish water. Nocturnal voracious eater. Tankmates I kept with were various polypterus species, payara, and Rhaphioidon vulpinus. Had it feeding on raw shrimp, sinking carnivore pellets, chopped earthworms, live & frozen fish. :)

toadfish-01.JPG

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
there is the brackish one that is common- Batrachomoeus trispinosus and in freshwater it becomes vulnerable to disease and grows poorly. there is a freshwater one, t.amazonica. both are pictured. they are a nocturnal ambush predator. mainly take live prey, but some feed on shrimp on a feeding stick wriggled in front of them. they like places to hide, and like to bury in substrate

dhgtjfjgh.JPG

dcsafdsa.JPG

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
also ive sold the bottom fish (davos pics) as MONSTER fish. pretty boring but big eaters.

Aras118119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2006
Kansas
I have one and i used to keep it in freshwater until i was told it liked brackish and once i changed it starting growing alot faster and eating more. I feed mine ghost shrimp and feeders. they can grow to about 12 in. long and i keep mine with archerfish and theyre doing fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store