tinfoil barb questions

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
HI i have 2 tinfoil barbs in my temporary 55 gal tank with a baby LM bass and 6 inch silver aro

they are very active and fun to watch but i just added a new plant, though i dont remmeber the name of it, its tall with about 5 very thin stems and lilly pad looking things at the end.

I have had plants in there for a while now, but for some reason the barbs ate the leaves off this new plant..... is this normal? does it mean they have some deficiency in their diet all of a sudden?

another thing, is it normal for them to develop yellowish in the pectoral fins and on their gill plates.... its more of a gold

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
i have had tinfoils for a while and the gold seems pretty normal. about the diet, they are eating the plants because tinfoils need quite a bit of green matter in their diet. there are many greens you can put in their diet, algae wafers, shelled peas, zucchini are just some of the ones you can look at. they grow fast when given the correct diet.

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
adamstv;560690; said:
HI i have 2 tinfoil barbs in my temporary 55 gal tank with a baby LM bass and 6 inch silver aro

they are very active and fun to watch but i just added a new plant, though i dont remmeber the name of it, its tall with about 5 very thin stems and lilly pad looking things at the end.

I have had plants in there for a while now, but for some reason the barbs ate the leaves off this new plant..... is this normal? does it mean they have some deficiency in their diet all of a sudden?

another thing, is it normal for them to develop yellowish in the pectoral fins and on their gill plates.... its more of a gold
it sound to me like you have albino tinfoil barbs if there more goldish lookin, tbarbs are nippers and very cheeky ones if that they tend to nipp at anything they can i've had a couple in my time and have always had to sell them on as they reach the 5/6" mark i belive that is when they become there most notorious, but they are a very entertaining fish IMO.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I've had a few tinfoils, mine were not nippers at all, totally non aggressive. The only problem was just how much they ate, they ate till they looked ready to burst.

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Yeh eating plant material is normal for tin foils, mine used to love eating lettuce, and spinich.
As to the colour, sounds like the barb you have is Barbonymus altus, false tin foil, the real tin foil is Barbonymus schwanenfeldii .:)

Barbonymus altus.jpg

b schwanefeldi.jpg

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
Thats huge.....[v] onster............:headbang2 :D

Cichlas;566334; said:
I agree with wayne, if there is no black in the fins then it will be an altus. Sold my two altus today

I had no luck keeping plants and these together, the plants always lost.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I thought my tinfoils were big those are awsome!!!!

REDhooK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Penn
Yea tinfoils love plants and veggies i feed mine blanced cucumber

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store