1,800 Gallon Project

bflymigrate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
akron ohio
Today I started a 1800g tank for my butterfly koi, sounds crazy I know but I just love them so much that I want to see them all the time. :drool: This is the start of the tank, All the wood used in this project is going to be what I've had for yr's from building my house. I could use some help on what to use to seal the tank with, I was told to use epoxy. also how do you get a seal between the glass and tank? I dont have a clue can someone please help me! :confused:
001.JPG

001.JPG

bflymigrate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
akron ohio
I have a really kool ideal but dont know if it can work, i'm thinking it will but I dont know for sure. I'm going to use a piece of wood panel and cut out a bubble look in the plywood then add my acrylic. it said i needed a 4in thickness of it but if i still have the plywood cut out do I still need the thickness of 4inchs? if some one could please give me an ideal of how thick my acrylic should be buy doing this I would really appreciate it!!!! oh i'll post a pic later today of my ideal

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Use Pond Armor to seal the tank. Apply it with a bondo scraper for best results and you will need to order twice as much as the coverage is only half as much as stated using this method.

Order glass from GlassCages.com it's half the cost of acrylic.

Use GE-I silicone to seal the glass to the pond armor.

Can't help you on the thickness without tank dimension.

bflymigrate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
akron ohio
thank you everyone for the help! I finished one of my cut out's for my window viewing to see the fish, I must say it looks kind of kool! The reason I want to go with bubble cut out's for the tank is because its in the movie room down in the basement.. (trying to keep the room dim to see the tv but also have a bright nightlight too) The tank is kinda odd shaped, which I will inclose. I think it's going to be close to 1500g instead of 1800g, if I did my math right...lol ....
design and measurements.jpg

design and measurements.jpg

bflymigrate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
akron ohio
002.JPGheres the cut out just got to finish the middle piece of the cut out.... going to flip this one over to get the same look on the other side.. has this ever been done before???????? this is not my plywood just what i'm going to cut out of my plywood... then my glass or acrylic behind it..

002.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store