Mega clear vinyl prototype tank build (concept building)

jkayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
New Jersey
So, I own a pool liner manufacturing shop and have decided to fool around with the concept of building a clear vinyl monster tank.

It will be of plywood construction with a plexiglass front, but instead of trying to make plywood watertight, we are going to put a form fitting liner in it. We're thinking 1/2" plywood and 1/2" plexiglass. I'm hoping we can go skimpy on the structure since there will be a liner inside and some deflection in the viewing window won't be the end of the world. We haven't committed to any particular size, but 4' cube would make for a pretty neat Malawi tank (478 gal).

Since we are in the pool industry we will probably be using pool fittings which I think may work out great for plumbing. And an inline spa heater instead of a submersible heater (afraid the heater could melt the liner).

We have already made a 22 gal. tank that the 2 goldfish and pleco seem to be enjoying . It's been running since 9/16 (under a week) but all seems to be going as planned.

I want to let the small tank run for a couple more weeks before we start on the big tank, but I'd love to get some feedback and ideas for stocking, size filtration etc. Also any concerns like "will it yellow over time?" (doubt it, but it may get cloudy), "how long will it last?" (guessing about 5 years before you have to replace it due to wear and the possibility of becoming cloudy)

Anyway, I just wanted to get some discussion started (and unhijack nolapete's thread). Looking forward to hearing feedback and getting help building the concept.

...and no, you can't buy one right now.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
This will be huge if it works. I'm very curious on the viewing window. Obviously it needs to be clear and not distorted or what's the point? I can't wait to see the progress.

How long does a regular liner last in the pool environment? I figure the pool is a more harsh type of environment than an aquarium would be with the chemicals and sun issues? The liner for an aquarium should lass at lease as long if not longer?

Good luck with this.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
This would be a GREAT plus to monster tank Builders! I just don't like the idea of changing it every 5 years. I am interested in seing how this progresses!

Arkangel77

jkayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
New Jersey
Pool liner should last around 10 years, but it will start to fade after about 7 or so. There are so many variables that it is hard to put a hard number to how long a pool liner will last.

...and yes, the pool environment is very harsh, but the vinyl we will be using for the tanks is a very different formula. Part of me thinks it may last forever (or as long as an acrylic tank would), but I want to err on the side of caution. The vinyl hasn't been tested in an underwater environment but it is formulated to withstand UV rays and environmental contaminates.

The vinyl is crystal clear, but, on the 22 gal prototype, there are air bubbles between the glass and the vinyl which makes it look funky. I'm waiting on my shipment from amazon to see if I have a fix for it (which I think is going to work really well). I'll post some pictures if it works :)

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
The every 5 years part doesn't sound great but if there's great success(no leaks right off etc) with it and its cost effective say 1/2 or even 1/4th the cost of painting the tank its worth it. At least until you start running into the large fish like RTC's and Arapaima that its not worth moving the fish every 5 years to change it out. The only really bad part i can think of while swapping it out is having to move all the substrate especially if its sand its heavy mess and a pain in the ass.

jkayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
New Jersey
The every 5 years part doesn't sound great but if there's great success(no leaks right off etc) with it and its cost effective say 1/2 or even 1/4th the cost of painting the tank its worth it. At least until you start running into the large fish like RTC's and Arapaima that its not worth moving the fish every 5 years to change it out. The only really bad part i can think of while swapping it out is having to move all the substrate especially if its sand its heavy mess and a pain in the ass.
That's why we will rent out inflatable holding ponds for liner changes. :)

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
That's why we will rent out inflatable holding ponds for liner changes. :)
Depending on the stock may just be easier to get a rubbermaid tub or two or even a kiddie pool a 6' circle kiddie pool is only $20 that's what I'm using for my turtles, and various fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store