1300 Gallon Plywood Tank Build

djseverson@yahoo.com

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Yakima, Wa
We are building a new house with a 1300 gallon fish tank off the great room. I would have preferred to wait until the house is finished, but our general contractor talked us into having the framers build the frame for our plywood tank. The design is based off VLDesign's 1500 gallon tank build
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=209523
and
Gator's 600 gallon tank build
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?181445-600-Gallon-Plywood-and-glass

It will be 1300+ gallons with two front 5' x 3.5' windows and one 3.5' x 3.5' side window. Filtration likely to be a combination of undergravel and canister, heating and lighting still undecided. I need to evaluate Pond Armour, Sweetwater, and bluemax. Leaning toward glass over acryllic.

The tank room was built on compacted base with 5" concrete with rebar on 2' centers. The inside dimensions of the tank are 137" wide x 48" deep and 48" tall. The framing utilizes a 2 x 6 pressure treated plate around the perimeter and down the middle of the tank from side to side. 10" tall 2x6 supports on 10" centers, with two more 2x6 plates and 2x8 joists on 10" centers. Walls are 2x6 on 10" center with 3/4" smooth plywood inside. Everything is nailed so far. I was concerned about nail pops, but the framer assured me that these nails do not come out. I have some concerns about framing the front of the tank to the side walls. The front wall of the tank is built between two support posts that hold up a house beam. I am comfortable with the structural capacity, but am worried about the corners flexing and cracking the liner, so somehow the front of the tank needs to tie into the sides better. I will be evaluating that this weekend. Here are some photos so far, including Gator's sketch of the design concept I am following. The Tank location is in blue on the house plan. I also had the house design include three skylights over the tank. Not sure if this is an algae problem waiting to happen, but hopefully with proper management of nutrient loads that won't be an issue.

View attachment 711265View attachment 711266View attachment 711268View attachment 711272View attachment 711271View attachment 711270View attachment 711273View attachment 711267View attachment 711269

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
Your pictures are not working on my computer so I will not comment on anything as far as construction goes, I do think you are right to be worried about nail pops. There are nails out there, I think they are called ring-shank nails that are not as prone to backing out as other nails are but it only takes one. I would have preferred it be screwed. I would not go with an undergravel filter on a tank of this size. There are mixed opinions on undergravel filters. I think they are fine on smaller tanks but you have to be able to clean the gravel bed out on a regular basis to keep the bed from becoming a solid mass of fish waste. I would skip the undergravel and go with a pool sand filter for filtration and right after the sand filter place a pool DE filter to polish the water. I would also have the lines feeding the filter pull from the top and bottom of the tank. You could actually use a pool skimmer along a wall to pul from the surface. Whatever you decide, good luck.

djseverson@yahoo.com

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Yakima, Wa
I think the site was experiencing difficulties when I made the original post. It failed multiple times before successfully posting and the images were lost. These are from the original post. We have made progress since these photos and I will upload additional photos and have more of an update soon. The plywood is attached with ring-shank nails that I am told will lose their head before they pop, but I might screw on a second layer of 3/4 inch ply just to be safe. Seems like overkill, so I am still undecided.

As for under gravel, I really mean a reverse under gravel with multiple zones. Specifically for the purpose of keeping debris and waste from settling, also my secondary goal is to maintain a high degree of water movement to reduce algae growth. This would be a separate pump from the canister (or pool sand) style filter and I would rotate the flow through the various undergravel zones on a schedule. I am not really sure that is necessary, but would give me higher flow in each zone with a smaller pump.

Image2.jpgImage1.jpgP1240524.JPGP1240523.JPGP1240543.JPGP1240561.JPGP1240557.JPGP1240550.JPG

I missed a couple photos in here, but there are 2x8 joists on 10 inch centers running from the front of the tank to the back across the three 2x6 stem walls. The front corners are toe nailed into the osb covered posts holding up the beam above the tank.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

P1240524.JPG

P1240523.JPG

P1240543.JPG

P1240561.JPG

P1240557.JPG

P1240550.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store