newbie to plywood ?

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
i am considering building a diy plywood aquarium. just a few questions, what is the average life span of the plywood tanks, what are common problems with them, are there any disadvantages to them.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
im surprised no one has shared there thoughts about this one, Im interested in knowing the same exact thing.

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
thank you! lol also while were at it when does floor weight become an issue. i see alot of mfk youtube videos of giant tanks im just kindof wondering how much a floor can handle?

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
I cant believe no one has said a thing about plywood tanks. IMO, a plywood tanks is as good as the material and craftsmanship that goes into building it. I recently built a plywood tank using liquid rubber and plate glass to seal the tank and I only had the tank a year but I didn't have any issues with the tank after I figured out what I was doing. The only thing I can suggest is to read as many build threads as you can and see where the failures have been and avoid those and to plan your build around the success stories. Planning is the key! Not only the build of the tank and the stand but you need to consider the filtration, lighting and heating of the tank. My tank worked great as far as holding water but I needed to spend more time on filtrations and getting fish waste off the bottom of the tank. I really like working with liquid rubber but you need to be sure you know how to install the viewing window when dealing with liquid rubber. Not all silicones work with liquid rubber so you cant just silicone the window in place. As far as the weight a floor can support.....I would say that most houses if built to todays codes can hold a 200-250G tank, if you start going over that you should look at additional support or try to place the tank on a slab. The thread to my build is down by my signature, it was a 315G tank and I think I did a pretty good job at documenting the build and sharing what I learned. I even shared all of the errors I made along the way. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM. Good luck!

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
thank you so much i appreciate the help! i think ill start with a small build like a 30 gallon cube like tank made from a window and if that goes well i'll move up. ill be sure to take a look at your build thread sometime this evening. thanks again

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
The building materials on a 30G tank will be the same but the way the materials react to water pressure will be very different. I wouldn't waste my $$ on a 30G tank. I would spend the time reading and planning and drawing everything out and then reworking it all 3-4 times until you get what you want. Just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store