Plywood Tank Idea

HokieFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Norf Cackalacky
Well, I've had the idea up in my head for a while for building a plywood tank. I want the dimensions to be 6' long, 4' tall and 2' deep. This would roughly give me a 360 gallon capacity. I want to completely deck out the inside with a styrofoam and concrete aquascape and use this to hide the filtration and heating elements.
I have experience building tank stands, but I've never actually tackled a wooden tank. for the size I think it will be more cost effective (and fun) to build it.
My house is built on a concrete slab, so the tank's weight doesn't bother me too much. What size plywood would you suggest for the walls of the tank? Also, how thick should the glass/acrylic be and how much overlap should there be on the front between the glass and the picture framed wood edge? At 4' tall, I had contemplated having the tank sit on the floor, but I think a 10" platform might be needed (this is where the tank weight concerns me).
Let me know what you guys think.

horrifier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
ohio
that should be a great looking tank at those dimensions. i can't help u with any of ur questions myself but i know that the glass with be extremely expensive on a tank that deep. good luck with it and hopefully u will keep us all updated on progress

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store