240 gal Acrylic help!?

ToyotaNation

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2011
in my Tegu's cage
Well yesterday i went and looked at a 240 for sale and im probably most likely depending if its not gonna be a nightmare to get it up and running. the guy said the tank its at least 10+ years old and for being that old it didnt look too bad for being acrylic. but some things had me a little worried. there is a burn on the back inside panel for a heater that is about half the depth of the acrylic and im wondering if there is anyway to possibly fill that in with any thing or put a strip on top of it and behind the burn to just to be safe since it doesnt go all the way through. and some of the seams have little tiny crack looking marks between the seams and im wondering if it still holds water(going back sunday to make sure it does) would/should i be able to re-seal the tank just to be safe inside and out because it is old. if so what should i use? its not letting me post the pics i have of the tank so ill try again in a bit but any input is appreciated. thanks.

Sphyrna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
USA
Your best option would be to repair the damaged area with weldon #40. First sand down the damaged area, removing all compromised acrylic using 200 grit paper. Next using 300-400 grit sand paper prep the area.

After the weldon 40 is mixed, apply it to the surface of the repair. Be sure to tape off the surrounding area to protect the undamaged acrylic. You will also want to overfill the repair to allow for shrinkage as the weldon 40 cures.

Sand and buff out the repaired area after the weldon 40 has cured.

If done properly the repair should be nearly undetectable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store