Algae eater for brackish water...

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
What is a good specimen that will clean up the algae in my 125gallon brackish tank? The mollies I have are picking at it haha but to no avail... any good recommend specimens for this?

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
landmineyouth;565297; said:
What is a good specimen that will clean up the algae in my 125gallon brackish tank? The mollies I have are picking at it haha but to no avail... any good recommend specimens for this?
From what I have read, their are certain plecostomus which can handle brackish waters. I recommend researching the many plecos and find one that works for you. :)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There aren't any brackish water algae eaters like plecos if that's what you were looking for. Depends on how much salt you have in the tank as well in order to see what type of pleco will tolerate it. But I wouldn't put one in there. I hear Rainbow Sharks can tolerate light brackish water and they will graze a bit on the algae off rocks and decor.

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
nerite snails. I know they aren't fish, but they are BW and will eat algae. they're mighty hard to find, though.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Ali;565310; said:
From what I have read, their are certain plecostomus which can handle brackish waters. I recommend researching the many plecos and find one that works for you. :)
plecos are a no no, they wont survive forever in those conditions, even if they appear to be coping with it for a little while. this question comes up a lot, and basically, there isnt a lot you can do, there arent any of the normal fish that tolerate the salt. there are some gobies and a handful of other molly type fish, but to be honest they arent all that effective. algae scrapers work wonders. less light will help too, and less nitrates

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
davo;565470; said:
plecos are a no no, they wont survive forever in those conditions, even if they appear to be coping with it for a little while. this question comes up a lot, and basically, there isnt a lot you can do, there arent any of the normal fish that tolerate the salt. there are some gobies and a handful of other molly type fish, but to be honest they arent all that effective. algae scrapers work wonders. less light will help too, and less nitrates
Hmm, interesting, do you know what salinity levels plecos may tolerate?

Another idea is to go with plants. Most plants will outcompete algae for nutrients.

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
Ali;565483; said:
Hmm, interesting, do you know what salinity levels plecos may tolerate?

Another idea is to go with plants. Most plants will outcompete algae for nutrients.
not many plants that can survive in brackish environments...

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Very few plants will live well in BW that are commonly seen in the hobby. It would also take quite a few plants to out compete the algae, and in caring for them you will need to go pretty big to keep algae down. As to plecos not doing well, most will not, but there are a few that can tolerate low levels of brakishwater. I wouldn't go over 1.10 and would adjust VERY slowly to this level.

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
Id rather not acclimate a pleco to brackish, there simply not meant for it, and besides, for every bit of algae he'd clean up, he'll replace it with pleco sh*t in my tank...

those snails seem like the way to go... are there any other snails that i might be able to try since the one suggested was so obscure and hard to find? any SW snails that can handle brackish conditions (.10-.14)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store