How thick

triply

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2009
Central New York
Ok so im getting my house dec 1st and ive been going over in my head and on paper and searching through forums trying to get ready for a build. The only serious problem i am running into is how thick the glass should be.

Ive decided the opening where the glass will sit will be 12x6.

Can anyone point me to a forum post or a calculator that will give me the thickness of glass ill need to make sure all goes well?

And i have been looking at starfire glass and acrylic...what one do you guys recommend? i see alot of people using both

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
If you go glass, you are looking at 1.5" to 2" thick glass.

If you go acrylic, you would need at least 2.5" or 3" thick. Acrylic is a lot hard to factor because of all the different types and styles of bracing.

triply

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2009
Central New York
Thank you. Also i must apologize as there is a thickness calculator stickied...which apparently i failed to notice during my in depth search earlier...i guess i should look so hard next time ><

DFishFox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-------------

^^^^^ This Thick lol J.k

On a side note though.. I didn't think "searching" on here was required prior to posting.. I sure as heck don't have the time to scan through all the threads as I'm usually at work when using forums..
I take that back. The search function I use is powered by Google.
There can only be so many possible questions in the Aquarium Hobby.. I'm sure they have all been asked before. Does that mean we can't post new threads? Cause we will run out of things to talk about or maybe that explains why there are so many non-fish threads on here...
Point is... Don't feel bad about not "finding" your answer; I thought that is what the Forum is for.. To Receive Answers, Not Hunt them.

Oh yeah, awesome Avatar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store