anyone build a tank with glass/plexi on both sides?

billm90

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
n/A
Looking for pics of anyone who built a plywood/2x4 tank with a looking glass on both sides.

If so, please post some pics.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
My plywood tank has a normal front window and a smaller viewing window in back for my service room in the back. Its a pannelized tank so I can take it apart when I move. I'm going to be putting up a thread soon with lots of pics. I'm on my phone now so I'll put up a pic when I can.

billm90

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
n/A
Do you have any pics of when you built it?

Do you think it would hold up as well if your front glass size was also on the back?

I have an idea for a room divider. Need to see through both sides.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
Yeah it would hold. If I had wanted to, I could have put the same window frame as the front, on the back. Think of it as an ordinary all glass tank. You can have glass on all sides, it's the same with a tank built out of wood. As long as the frame holding the glass is sturdy enough, it should work. I built my tank in panelized form, so it's all held together with long bolts and lag screws. This way of building a plywood tank worked so well, I don't think I will ever build a plywood tank any different. The best part is, I can take it apart and move it almost by myself. The front and back are a little heavy. Here's a few pics of how I built the front window frame.
IMG_3980a.jpg
IMG_3981a.jpg

IMG_3980a.jpg

IMG_3981a.jpg

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
i built a 2x4x2 tank that has windows on three walls sides and front. i just treated it like i was building three plywood tank fronts. i used acrylic on this tank but i will not do that again the silicon does not stick well and i had leaks for a few months then i got it all sealed up but if i move the tank i will have leaks again. the windows on top are for an above tank basking area for the western painted turtle that resides in the tank. i have had this tank running for two years now and have not had any major issues except i have redesigned my overflow about 5 times because i have not been happy with it.
P1020207.JPGP1020186.JPGP1020187.JPGP1020147.JPG

P1020186.JPG

P1020187.JPG

P1020207.JPG

P1020147.JPG

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
hey sross, I love the idea of a modular tank but I've got a few questions for you. I like all the pics you posted of the build but what did you use to waterproof everything? Also did you coat everything while assembled or did you do all the sides separate and then put it all together? If you did it all separate then how did you seal all the seams to prevent leaks?

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
I used US Composites marine epoxy and 3 layers of fiberglass 7oz for the base water proofing. And then Applied 4 coats of sweet water epoxy. I did all of this while all the pieces were apart. Then once all coatings are setup, not longer tacky, I put all of the sides up and bolted and lag screwed everything together along all corners and along the bottoms of each panel. Then using the calking tool, I have a picture of it in my gallery, I put a very thick bead of calking in all of the corners. It worked so well From day one of filling it I haven't had a single leak. I've had the tank up an running for about a 2 months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store