Metal stock tanks???

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Fishing around I see that they can leach zink apparently so you'd want to either line them or treat the inside with something... Not to mention the threat of rusting, how do you resolve that ?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; No opinion about their use with fish. Galvanized sheet metal has a zinc coating that protects the steel as long as it is intact. Deep scratches that remove the coating will allow the underlying metal to rust. I also seem to recall that it is bad to breathe the fumes when the stuff is welded.

You might put some sort of liner inside the tank??

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Ok, looking at pond liners if I got the tank for 100 I could drop a 120 dollar liner in it and viola I have a indoor pond for 220 bucks. Then I add bio-tower filters, and some fish(another 400 for filters). Ok, Thanks. I definitely don't have a spare 600 lying around but its good to know if I can get my buddy to pick it up I might actually be able to use it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; About the rust, the metal can be painted on rusty spots. I believe that a proper primer is used to get the paint to stick to the galvanized surface.

BlindSight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Denton Tx
it would eventually start rusting but you could probably get away with just priming it and not have to put a pond liner in it. Not exactly sure what paint to use but looked into it before and the info is out tehre sommmmmmmewhere.

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
There was a thread on here somewhere that some posted that they used one of these things and it started rusting but they couldn't see the rust on it and it ended up killing half his fish before he relized what was going on and had to move the rest to a different.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
There was a thread on here somewhere that some posted that they used one of these things and it started rusting but they couldn't see the rust on it and it ended up killing half his fish before he relized what was going on and had to move the rest to a different.
Ok, a pond liner is not to expensive for the size and I suspect if I painted the stock tank as well it would last longer. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one but I hope this thread is helpful to the ray keepers and other prospective breeders out there.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; did a quick search. Painting is possible but requires several stages of cleaning and preparation and the use of a metal specific primer. Galvanized metal has a coating of an oil to help keep the zinc coating from oxidizing, so this has to be cleaned off prior to trying to paint.

Sometimes a good price is not really a good deal. My neighbor has bought two very used riding mowers in the last two years for cheap. I am not sure he has saved any money yet. Lots of extra expense for replacing old parts and at least one is out of order much of the time. The first was down so he bought the second in order to mow a while back. You may wind up spending near to what the plastic tank costs before finished and also it may not be safe for the fish??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store