1/4 inch thick acrylic

sambenoit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2011
I dont know
I want to make a tank that is 5 foot long using 1/4 inch acrylic. I will have dividers in the tank because its fuction is a breeders tank and it will add extra support.
I will put support of 1/4 inch acrylic every 6in with a strip 3 inches wide runs from front to back of the aquarium. It will also be on top of the aquarium and I will use euro bracing. The euro bracing will differ because i will have two on edge inside and one on top and one piece of acrylic sitting on the top of aquarium and on the bracing.
The dimensions of the tank is 5 foot by 15 inches high and 20 inches depth.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
I built a sump out of 1/4" acrylic a couple of years ago that was 48" long, 21" wide and 16" deep. I didn't have any issues with the acrylic but I did have dividers in the sump that added support to keep the acrylic from bowing. Without adding at the very least a center divider to support the acrylic and keep it from bowing I think you are asking the 1/4" acrylic to do a lot.

cantrell00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
SC
I wouldn't exceed 12" height with 1/4" unless as you said, you have a robust center divider at the top..

If compartmentalized though (as you suggested) - there shouldn't be any issues at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store