Tank in planning

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
I am planning to build a L-shaped plywood tank this summer and was wanting to make sure all my plans will be good and hold up well. The brown represents 2x4's, the black represent the plywood, the green represents the windows of the tank, the blue represents where the windows and the plywood will overlap, and the red are spraybars. So what do you think?
Scan_Pic0002.jpg

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
From what I can tell the plan look OK but you really don't have the detail in the plan to give an honest opinion. It looks like you are using 2x4s that will be 12" OC which is plenty strong enough for a tank this size. I would frame the windows with 2x4s and the put 2x3s inside those frames to give the viewing windows an actual frame to sit in. The return spray bars are fine but what kind of filtration? Is you filtration going to draw water from the surface as well as the lower area of the tank? What are you going to use to seal the tank? Glass or acrylic? Right now my only suggestion would be to read, read and then read a little more. See what has worked and what has not worked and then build something that is within your skill set. Take pictures as you build and post them here so if there is something you missed, someone might spot it and point it out before it's too late. Good luck

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
Looks good.I built a 1,500 gallon tank and the only problem I had I didn't have enough braces at the top.I believe you can not put to many braces at the top!! my 2 cents worth

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
i was seeing if the overall bracing would be good to start, but i am going to run 3 overflows, one in each corner. but it will be sealed with Pond Armor and will probably go with glass from broken tanks as the windows to recycle haha. There will be a one inch overlay from the plywood with 2x4's for the windows. The filtration will probably be two sumps, one under each section of the L.

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
well it will still be a while, just getting a good idea before i actually start. Now all i need to do is figure out the filtration system and the stand

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
the tank is only going to be 18" tall so there shouldn't be too much flex, if any, but I was wondering what the liquid rubber is that people have used

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
Liquid rubber, at least the one I used is made by a company call Zavlar. It is very easy to work with, does a great job at sealing the tank, flexes like a champ, and has very low odor. The only real issue I have seen with liquid rubber is it does not play well with silicone. LR will not bond well to silicone and silicone will not bond well with LR. I have heard that Dow 795 will work with LR but I have not tested this myself so I don't believe it. There are "work arounds" to deal with the silicone /LR issue that are very easy that involve using fiberglass resin as a bridge. If you need the thread down in my signature you will find a 315G build I did using LR.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store