700 gallon WOOD Fish Tank -FINISHED- - Heres the results-W/PICS

Catfishracer

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2009
London, UK
I have completed my 6' X 6' X 34" fish tank. I set out to build it as cheap as possible without sacricing strength, durability and function.

Here is how I did it. SOLID CORE WOOD DOORS.

Yes... I used 10 previously used solid core wood doors. I purchased them at $100.00 for the lot. These are your standard 1 3/4" thick doors with the pressed wood and glue type composite inside. I ripped down the previously drilled portions where the door handles were at. I also shaved the edge the hinges were on to get it flat. For the top and bottom of the tank I used 3 cut doors, each side I used 1 door.

I used max bond thixotropic (EBAY) to glue everything together on assembly and used stainless screws to hold it all together. I then sanded everything good with heavy grit sandpaper cleaned with acetone and coated with 2 heavy coats of an aquarium safe black tinted epoxy called MAX ACR (EBAY). The epoxy was only used on the inside of the tank and to fill the peep holes. I coated the bottom extra thick to handle the large amount of rocks and boulders. I used a regular black exterior house paint for the outside.

The viewing windows are 2' x 4' 1/2" acrylic sheets I got through grainger. The price per sheet was 100.00. I screwed the acrylic to the inside of the tank after applying a good amount of silicone. I obviously had to predrill and countersink the acrylic prior to screwing it to the epoxy coated wood.

The stand is simply cinder blocks stacked 3 high with a fabric cloth drapped around to hide the blocks and filters. The filtration is 4 FX5's I choose because of the good luck I have had in the past and simpicity.

The bulkheads were a challenge which required me to use stainless sink drains as bulkheads and numerous clamps hoses adapters ect. I am confident they will never leak a drop of water.

I did have to go in my crawlspace and support the flloor with a barrage of bottle jacks, cinder blocks ect. to keep my house from caving in.

Tank has been up and running 3 weeks or so and I have had no issues what so ever. The tank is very stiff and solid. When I moved it I got no cracking of the epoxy or anything. When I filled it I didn't even hear a creak, or see any shifting or warping of the tank what so ever.

Everyone was pushing fiberglassing to me. I found this would be very labor intersive and un-neccesary.

I am pretty happy with how it came out. However... with more time and money invested you could build something much larger or nicer I am sure. But you can say that about anything, and my wife made me draw the line somewhere. So here are some pictures for you to look at.

sizedemo.jpgtankcenter.jpgtankside.jpg
tankfront.jpgtoptank.jpgfishfrnt.jpg
hoovertheredtail.jpgbuldheads.jpgfiltration.jpg

This is my old 210 which is now my Bait tank Holding food for Flatheads.

NowmyBaittank.jpg

sizedemo.jpg

tankcenter.jpg

tankside.jpg

tankfront.jpg

toptank.jpg

fishfrnt.jpg

hoovertheredtail.jpg

buldheads.jpg

filtration.jpg

NowmyBaittank.jpg

Catfishracer

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2009
London, UK
Some other stuff I forgot...QTY. 8 300w via-aqua titanium heaters. QTY. 6 via-aqua ma-600 air pumps. stealth black airline tubing. 6 round airstones. colorado river rock. & 2 Digital thermometers. Ohh.. the lids are a lexan hurricane shutter material found at home depot.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
Here is how I did it. SOLID CORE WOOD DOORS.

These are your standard 1 3/4" thick doors with the pressed wood and glue type composite inside. I ripped down the previously drilled portions where the door handles were at. I also shaved the edge the hinges were on to get it flat. For the top and bottom of the tank I used 3 cut doors, each side I used 1 door.

I used max bond thixotropic (EBAY) to glue everything together on assembly and used stainless screws to hold it all together. I then sanded everything good with heavy grit sandpaper cleaned with acetone and coated with 2 heavy coats of an aquarium safe black tinted epoxy called MAX ACR (EBAY).
Very nice. I've long thought solid core doors would lend themselves to a nice tank. I have some questions.

Are they really 1 3/4" thick? I have two butcher block workbench tops that are 1 3/4" thick and they are noticably thicker than my neighbors workbench top that is a solid core door.

When you say "pressed wood composite" do you mean a particle board core or a lumber core?

Is max bond thixotropic made by the same company as the Max ACR? If so is there a reason why you didn't just use straight ACR or some ACR you thickended yourself?

Oh yeah, how did you screw the bottom together edge to edge? Something like a pocket hole joint or did you just screw through at an angle?

Catfishracer

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2009
London, UK
Very nice. I've long thought solid core doors would lend themselves to a nice tank. I have some questions.

Are they really 1 3/4" thick? I have two butcher block workbench tops that are 1 3/4" thick and they are noticably thicker than my neighbors workbench top that is a solid core door.

When you say "pressed wood composite" do you mean a particle board core or a lumber core?

Is max bond thixotropic made by the same company as the Max ACR? If so is there a reason why you didn't just use straight ACR or some ACR you thickended yourself?

Oh yeah, how did you screw the bottom together edge to edge? Something like a pocket hole joint or did you just screw through at an angle?
I just remeasured and Yes they are 1 3/4". I believe this is the standard in solid core doors. The core is similar to a particle board. They are not a lumbar core.

I am no carpender and have Zero experience with wood. But I am a mechanic and have basic abilities. so the bottom was simply layed out edge to edge after applying the glue and screwed through at an angle. BUT......
I think a pocket hole or something like you suggested would be a much better aprouch. Maybe like a tongue in groove or cut both at 45 degrees would be better.

You can thicken the ACR with sawdust ect. But in the end this thixotropic is bar none the best wood glue I have ever used. Yes, they are both epoxies made by polymerproducts on Ebay.

Here is a link to Max Bond ACR Aquarium Construction Resin http://www.ebay.com/itm/310075939459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here is link to Max Bond Thixotropic Wood Glue http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epoxy-Resin...960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483846a818

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store