~300 Gallon Custom Plywood Tank built by Klee79

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Around April 2011 I began researching/shopping my options for a large tank upgrade. At the time my Goliath African Tiger Fish was small but I knew it would not be long until a tank upgrade was needed. I began searching for a used glass or acrylic tank on craigslist and while there were a few good deals I was always nervous about the seals on a used tank of this size. After a few weeks of this I moved on to looking into the possibility of a DIY tank. After an extensive amount of research it became clear that a well built plywood tank may be my best option. They are significantly cheaper to build than an all glass tank and as light and easy to move around as an acrylic tank.

In June I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a number of posts by Klee79 going into detail on a few of his previous plywood builds. His craftsmanship and sealing process for the interior of the tank looked outstanding and he happened to be located in Ohio a couple hours away from where I live so I sent him a PM here on MFK. (one of the best decisions I have made in quite some time haha)

We communicated back and forth about the type of tank, size, dimensions, trim, wood type etc. The final tank dimensions I decided upon were 96"x32"x22". After we hashed out all the details and final price I sent him my down payment for materials cost and he sent me step by step picture updates of the status of the build as it went along.

He very cleanly used fiberglass tape in all the corners of the tank for added support and reliability and multiple coats of sweetwater epoxy on the interior. The final product was amazing, the tank was extremely sturdy and I would trust it much more than any large glass tank on the market.

I had a custom stand built by my Amish cabinetmaker for the tank. The tank hasnt had a single issue and has been up and running now for about a month with my Goliath African Tiger Fish living the dream in his new upgraded home.

This is just a start to the thread, I have pictures of the tank with the trim added before I had it painted and final pics of the finished tank and stand I will upload later when I get home. I just had to get the thread started and I cant thank Klee79 enough for all the hard work he put into the tank and I highly recommend his services to anyone looking for an affordable reliable custom plywood tank.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.28.11%20003.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Found a few pictures on my phone.

First is the test fill of the finished and trimmed tank before I had it painted.

There is a quick pic I took of the stand my Amish cabinetmaker built and stained.

and

A final crummy cell phone pic of the tank up on the stand being filled up for the first time.

I am hoping to find a good camera to get some quality pics of the setup. Its really incredible to see in person. The paint I chose has a metallic hue in it that changes color depending on which direction the light is hitting it. Again thanks go out to Klee79 for building a truly unique piece of furniture (aquarium).

More details and pics later.

IMG_20110919_181532.jpg

IMG_20110919_181457.jpg

IMG_20110920_094600.jpg

IMG_20110929_205859.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Beautiful tank and cabinet - top-notch!

dreysthename

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
NYC
a single tear runs down my cheek....beautiful. how much did it all cost you? Put the GATF in yet?

horrifier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
ohio
thats a stunning setup. what are you doing for lighting? i see there is trim around the top of the tank so i'm guessing you are not going to be putting a canopy on it. the tank and stand look great, now its time to see it all setup with fish in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store