Foods for best growth?

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I'm trying to get my Marble Gobies to grow as fast as possible, I'm anxiously awaiting them to hit the 8"+ mark. Are there any foods that promote faster growth? Any I should avoid? Or should I just keep them nice and full. As of right now they eat frozen raw shrimp and an occasional rosie or ghost shrimp. They are about 4-5" long.

odalisay

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
At the foot of the cross
Mudfrog;568272; said:
I'm trying to get my Marble Gobies to grow as fast as possible, I'm anxiously awaiting them to hit the 8"+ mark. Are there any foods that promote faster growth? Any I should avoid? Or should I just keep them nice and full. As of right now they eat frozen raw shrimp and an occasional rosie or ghost shrimp. They are about 4-5" long.
I have read on this board that beef heart can really make fish grow fast! I myself believe it would be a combination of different foods, both live and prepared/frozen that can contribute to the growth of the fish. Also if you going to power feed don't forget about the water changes! Very important! Ok, I will get off the soapbox now.:)

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I'm not sure if they will have it at the grocery store. You could get it at a LFS or go to a good butcher and buy a whole heart. I tend to just buy the frozen cudes from the LFS since I don't need that much.

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
you're allegic to bloodworms and krill? You know YOu don't actually eat the fish food right? Lol just kidding. Do your allegeries kick in when you touch the food or what?

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
What makes fish grow fast and healthy, (Healthy, being the key word here) is LOTS of water changes, good filtration, and a VARIETY of food.

But if you really want your fish to grow fast and healthy and be the most briliant colored and vibrant fish.
One of the most important things you should do is a LOT of waterchanges.

..that accompanied by a very wide variety of foods will insure good growth. Dont just feed one or even just two types of food, but many.

Certain foods DO increase growth rate. Food with lots of protein.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Beefheart is at the grocer>..

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
sqratch;568375; said:
you're allegic to bloodworms and krill? You know YOu don't actually eat the fish food right? Lol just kidding. Do your allegeries kick in when you touch the food or what?
Yep.. Bloodworms caused my eyes to swell shut for 2 days. So I tried wearing gloves.. well with gloves they only swole shut for 1 day :D

Krill didn't make my eyes shut but they did cause them to get very irritated. Freeze dried bloodworms does the same thing. Freeze drilled krill is fine.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Die Fledermaus;568377; said:
What makes fish grow fast and healthy, (Healthy, being the key word here) is LOTS of water changes, good filtration, and a VARIETY of food.

But if you really want your fish to grow fast and healthy and be the most briliant colored and vibrant fish.
One of the most important things you should do is a LOT of waterchanges.

..that accompanied by a very wide variety of foods will insure good growth. Dont just feed one or even just two types of food, but many.

Certain foods DO increase growth rate. Food with lots of protein.
I do 40% water changes every 3-4 days so they get plenty of fresh water unless you think they need more? They are currently in a 30 gallon by themselves with an AC110. Filtration is plenty. When they reach ~9-10" I'm going to upgrade them to a 48x24x17 tank with a wet / dry setup, this will be their final tank unless they do actually get to ~20" but the biggest one I've seen in captivity is 13" and it's a beauty.. even though the guy has it in a 35 gallon. Here is a pic of it..

Marbled Goby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store