Lionfish Freshwater

HugeGhost

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
California
Well on an impuls buy i bought a huge 10 inch lionfish, freshwater toad fish! I have read that a little salt would make it adapt to freshwater! This guy is looking good but after 2 days he is getting some small white patches on his mouth. Conflicting stories i heard it needs salt to survive and i heard it can be in total salt with maybe the little extra. FW! Is it true or do i need to put him quikly in his own tank and add some salt. Plesae if thats the case how much salt will he take and can a BGK live in heavy salt or am i just getting some huge Archers. There is no turning back aanyway i love my stonefish!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
no idea how to help, though i wish i could, could u take a pic of the lionfish tho?

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I've read these guys need a stronger brackish tank around 1.015 or so. I had one but it died within a couple days of bringing it home, it was only 5" though. I would love to see pics of yours.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well there are freshwater and brackish water. the most common i guess is the three spined toadfish, which is brackish. you could try find some brackish datnoid sp. or big archers etc. i would def add some salt smartish. BGK is a freshwater fish. just so you know, you cant turn a species into a different type of water, no matter how long you adjust the conditions.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
davo;568641; said:
heres a real recent thread to help id if you cant get pics up. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43423
On the last page of this thread in my post, I got pics. of an oyster toadfish, I'll put them up here again, but these guys around me come in full saltwater and can go brakish. I am unsure about any information on them for freshwater. He is in full saltwater in these pictures.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
I gave mine to a marine bio teacher at a high school. He has these giant chilled pools to keep saltwater fish in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store