Pool conversion, pbass and gars

Darsie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
Australia
Thats awesome. are you using the existing pool filter aswell? any tweaks to it?

Wish i lived up north. i'll just have to stick with goldfish and koi haha

peacock madness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
nice setup.. ive thought long and hard about doing this in my backyard with an above ground pool.. but i most definitely would be swimmin with my guys if i did go through with it.. itd be hard not to. how big are your pbass and gars?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I'll be referring my wife to these photos when we move to a place with a pool. How do you control for algae? Feng Fengs are getting the job done (without eating the lilies?) or are you in there fortnightly with SCUBA tank and a Scotch-Bright (and bloody knuckles)? Are you worried about the rendering getting a permanent algal patina... or is it a plastic liner (thus toothy gar in sump)?
I'm interested that Cichla and gar are legal in Qld/Australia. I'll remember this when I'm making my arguments to import them here... though I'm not holding my breath. Cichla is the tropical invasive fish poser-boy.
Please get a camera housing and snorkel and send us some sunny-day underwater pics.
A

masone

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Cairns, Australia
FF seem to do a good job with algae, usually turn the filter on for a few hours a day, water movement seems to help as well. Will see how things go in the height of summer, hopefully the fresh flushes from all the rain will keep things in check, otherwise I might employ an algaecide. Not wooried about staining as the pool needed to be repainted and retiled anyway, this saved me that hassle for the time being. When I want to sell the place I will redo the pool then.

Gars are illegal, I have a permit for mine as I owned them before the ban two yrs ago. Pbass will probably show up on the next round of additions to the noxious fish list later this year or next so will probably have to get a permit for them as well. Silver aros will also likely join that list so will pick some up when they are bred in the next few months.

Pool is also full of freshwater jellyfish which seem to be blooming at the moment. They are about the size of an aussie 5cent piece. Pretty cool, the girl has three in a glass bowl and feeds them daphnia, bbs and mozzie wrigglers. Will sort an underwater camera soon and get some pics with the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store