First Tank Build - 400 Gallon

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Finally it's about time for my first plywood tank build! Got all the plans drawn up, now just working on finishing up the basement and building the tank :D

The tank is going to be 84"x36"x30", which works out to just a touch under 400 gallons. It's going to be an in-wall tank facing out into the main room in the basement. Right now the basement is torn apart so I'll be posting pics as I can around work and whatnot.

Basement Gut 1.jpg
So where the studs are on the left side of the pic there will be a wall, the first opening will have a door into the workshop/fish room and the second opening will be where the fish tank will be in the wall.
Basement Gut 2.jpg
From the space from the telepost on the right of the pic to the far wall will be where it goes! (there is no fireplace now).

Today I called about 5 different glass shops in and around Edmonton and was quoted anywhere from $190 - $535 for my 80"x32"x1/2" sheet.

I'll keep you updated as things move along, any input is much appreciated!

Basement Gut 1.jpg

Basement Gut 2.jpg

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So, I need some opinions on what to use to coat the inside of my tank with. I was thinking Zavlar Liquid Rubber or Sweetwater Epoxy???

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So. got some framing done in the basement today, including the fish tank wall!
Walls.jpg
Fish Tank Wall.jpg
I'm getting pretty excited to start building the actual tank! Unfortunately I have to wait at least a month before my glass will be in :(

Oh and I found this picture of what the basement looked like a few days back before I gutted it if anyone was interested in seeing.
IMG_4422.JPG

Basement Gut 2.jpg

Walls.jpg

Fish Tank Wall.jpg

IMG_4422.JPG

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Not really too much yet :( gunna be another while for my glass, however I'll be starting the stand and tank soon! Got the basement drywalled and mudded and hopefully prime and paint today and then the rooms ready for FISH!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store