Cinder Block Tank

Jrlevers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
PA
Hello all! I've been browsing MFK for awhile now trying to plan a DIY Plywood growout tank for my Tilapia. I'm trying to keep costs for this project extremely low because it' supposed to be an "economical" way to raise these fish.

I had an epiphany regarding resources. I have three pallets of cinder blocks 8x8x16 inches available to me for free leftover from a house construction and I was considering using these instead of plywood to make the walls of the tank.

The planned dimensions are anywhere from 8 to 9 1/4 feet long by 4 to 5 1/4 feet wide (Depending on final layout. This project is in my very small basement.) and 32 inches tall.

The actual construction will be stacking the blocks without any mortar in an alternating fashion to the intended size then placing a pond underliner and a pond liner inside and securing it at the top.

My obvious concern is, seeing as how I can't find anywhere online where someone built a tank like this freestanding, will the block hold up to the weight of the water (Calculated 415 gal at a filled depth of 30 inches) without any further type of bracing or support?

If anyone has built anything like this, or has any ideas, please let me know.

weemanch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
erie,mi
just general thought i highly doubt it will hold with out mortar to hold the blocks i think it's been done that way before though.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
just general thought i highly doubt it will hold with out mortar to hold the blocks i think it's been done that way before though.
I agree with this statement. It is my understanding that pressure is exerted in all directions in a fluid like water. The water will push on the sides at the 32 inch depth, the 31 inch depth and so on. If you do not fasten the blocks together, it would seem that the only thing holding the sides in place will be friction between the blocks and the weight of the blocks themselves. You could use construction adhesive maybe, but mortar is likely to cost less. I have seen low wall stock tanks made from block, but they had mortar between the blocks.

Jrlevers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
PA

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I guess there is a reason you do not want to use mortar or some other adhesive. I looked at the video. The blue max coating was between the ends of the blocks and a continuous coating on the inside. I am not familiar with the stuff, it may be some sort of epoxy. It is likely strong as well as water tite. Do you intend to use this blue max?
The nice thing about this hobby is that folks are trying new stuff and telling us how it goes. If you decide to try a stack of blocks with a pool liner and no adhesive, please post the results which ever way it goes.

chief420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
West Virginia
Ames Blue Max is a liquid rubber, so it is adhering to the blocks and providing some reinforcement. At this point there is no harm in trying without any mortar/compound, you'll only be out the water if it doesn't hold.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
build a wooden box around it.
im guessing you want something semi permanent since you dont want to motar it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store