Rebuilding 265 gallon

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I'm here because of a leak. If you've followed my fish room thread you'll know that I acquired a used 265 gallon tank. It leaked, we ripped out the silicone and resealed the interior corners, it held water for two days then 3 am last night leaked all over our basement(leak is at the bottom).

Me and my best friend(who has been helping on this project) are going to break the tank down and completely rebuild it, at the same time as rebuilding/designing the stand. I'm just wondering if you guys can recommend a good reference for something like this?

If you know of a chicago area tank shop that would do this for 200 or less please forward their info to me. Thanks.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
My friend has been calling chicago land tank companies all morning. Many have said large glass tanks just don't work(though this tank is not much larger than the all glass 210) Also we've been told that the joint seems aren't the problem but rather our interior corner seems or stand. What are your guys thoughts on this?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
The tank is a perfecto aquarium. I can't seem to find a perfecto website or else I would call and ask them. If any of you have experience dealing with perfecto please advise.

EDIT: I think marineland owns the perfecto brand. please confirm.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Ok so been working on and researching this at warp speed. No one will touch our tank, not even marineland. I have no idea how to take the glass apart, any help guys??? We can't get a quote that is much less than buying a new tank :p totally goofed if you ask me.

My head is spinning with how to resolve this. I could really use some input from the brain trust that is the MFK DIY forums.

Bowtiewarrior

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
Bensenville, IL
From what I told from the folks at Marineland.com complete re-seal is going to be a nightmare.

Also from what a local pet shop owner that me and kamikazi trust told me.." a leaker is always a leaker"

and local custom tank designers in Chicago said $1000+ to re-seal with no warranty or they wouldn't even consider the Job.

I've got several questions......

Has any one attempted to completely disassembled a tank of similar size before? 150, 210, 220? or larger.
If so, how much of a pain in A** was it? and were you successful?
how did you get the upper/lower trim off with out braking it?
what did you use to square the glass during assembly?
what kind of clamps did you use to hold the tank together during drying?(if any)

or..... do you recommend scrapping the tank and using a plate of glass on a custom tank vs trying to re seal the 265?

Thank,
Bowtie.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
From what I told from the folks at Marineland.com complete re-seal is going to be a nightmare.

Also from what a local pet shop owner that me and kamikazi trust told me.." a leaker is always a leaker"

and local custom tank designers in Chicago said $1000+ to re-seal with no warranty or they wouldn't even consider the Job.

I've got several questions......

Has any one attempted to completely disassembled a tank of similar size before? 150, 210, 220? or larger.
If so, how much of a pain in A** was it? and were you successful?
how did you get the upper/lower trim off with out braking it?
what did you use to square the glass during assembly?
what kind of clamps did you use to hold the tank together during drying?(if any)

or..... do you recommend scrapping the tank and using a plate of glass on a custom tank vs trying to re seal the 265?

Thank,
Bowtie.
Yeah bowtie wants to use the two sides to make 2 plywood tanks but he forgets that on side is heavily scuffed, that's why we made it the back. I was searching around and found this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190949

so getting off the trim is the big challenge it seems. Ours is not one piece trim but rather 4 pices glued on as its an older perfecto model similar to the stack one hundereds you can see here:

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
When re-sealing a large tank that leaks you have to remove the glass to get new silicone in between the glass pains(This is were the strength is). I have resealed smaller tanks 10G to 25G by putting new silicone on the inside of the tank (With success) but with a larger tank like yours there is tremendous amount of weight against the glass and just re-sealing the inside it will not hold. The plastic picture frames around the tank are basically for cosmetic look EXCEPT the top one with the Bracing so the tank glass doesn't bow out and Blow your tank apart. (Bracing is a must on the top of any Large Deep Tank) MY 220 doesn't have any plastic on the bottom. The old owner broke/cracked it so it had to be removed. The top bracing was also damaged so I made some angle iron braces to keep the top from bowing out. If your going to take the time to build a plywood tank you could probably fix this one. You said the clamp are big bucks. why not make your own out of wood.

Tank Brace.JPG

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I have never built tanks but could you just make a section where it leaks and install another piece of glass before that area? like a separator so no water runs to that area if its just on the edge? then just support the tank where the divider was installed as the tank wont be rest on the corners of the glass? sorry if this is a really dumb idea but seems easier to me if you are just going to lose a few g of water and not half the tank? or try build a little square over that area if you dont want to lose a section of the tank? but I dont think that would work at all.

Just some ideas but most likely they wont work!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store