Old aquarium and thinking of using it but am having some problems

no_one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
FDVDBGBNYHN
Hey guys i found this old aquarium that was given to me years ago ..it was going to be discarded ..anyway i am thinking of using it now.. but i am having some problems..

1) i cant figure out why it has that compartment in the middle of the aquarium .. was it a filter of some sort ? can i somehow use it as a filter for both tanks ?

2) the sides of the aquarium are full of white residue and minerals.. how can i clean the? i tried using vinegar but they dont come of.. any hardcore method of removing them?

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
Looks to me like you have a Dual Inlet sump with a Return pump in the middle. Water came in on the left and the right overflowing into the middle chamber and pumping the water back to the tank. I noticed the water level scum in the middle chambers is about 4 or 5 inches deep enough for a pump. But I could be wrong. :) Did you try using a razor blade to scrape it off. Sometimes the glass gets etched and the marks are permanent.

Dual Chamber Sump.JPG

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
Yes you could use the center chamber as your filter for both sides. This is just a rough draft but you could use 3/4 pvc and T it to both sides from the pump. add some holding chambers for media with a drip tray and filters... Anyway I think it would work great as a tank/filter one unit.

sump tank one.JPG

no_one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
FDVDBGBNYHN
Thanks very much for taking the time to make those drawings!
the second drawing you made was what i had in mind.. but i was wondering if i will have nay problem with proper filtration as only the surface of the water would get sucked in the filter.. so any stuff siting on the bottom would not get filtered..

i cant really use it as it is at the moment ... the glass is tou cloudy and would not look good.. any ideas ?i have used a blade and did scape of some amount but not all is cleaned ..still there is much left ...some chemical or other strong cleaning agent ?

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
Thanks very much for taking the time to make those drawings!
the second drawing you made was what i had in mind.. but i was wondering if i will have nay problem with proper filtration as only the surface of the water would get sucked in the filter.. so any stuff siting on the bottom would not get filtered..

i cant really use it as it is at the moment ... the glass is tou cloudy and would not look good.. any ideas ?i have used a blade and did scape of some amount but not all is cleaned ..still there is much left ...some chemical or other strong cleaning agent ?

Yes you would have to clean the bottom of the tank off and on. Running the water outputs to each side of the tank far left/ far right would keep the water moving for proper bio filtration. But fish waste would probably sit on the bottom and need cleaned.

I had a few spots on my glass that were etched but when I filled it you really didn't notice them. (The etching was permanent on the glass). I don't know of any cleaner that you would wan't to try to clean the inside with except vinegar. Maybe some one else knows something that is fish safe to clean it better...

no_one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
FDVDBGBNYHN
i might end up removing at least one glass side and still get 2 aquariums 1 larger from the other and use one external filter unit.Do you thing i can use 1 external filter and divide the inlet hose into the 2 tanks ?

As for the residue.. i let it sit for a day in vinegar and its still not clean..its cleaner but still has a fair amount of dirt left. am going to add some support galls stips on the top side to strengthen them so i you probably wont get to see the residue at all

ruddybop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Erie Pa.
www.youtube.com
The only part in removing the glass divider sides is where the corners meet on the bottom. Removal could damage the silicone in the corners possibly making it leak. I see the small strips on the bottom with the glass wedged in between it. Your going to have a heck of a time trying to remove those with the strips in there. And you will probably have to re-seal it up were the glass was removed pluss new silicone doesn't stick well to old silicone. Just curious how is the bottom made. Did the owner take 2 pieces of 1/4 inch glass and silicone them together to make it thicker. I see swirls of silicone on the left side through the glass bottom.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Good luck getting it cleaned I tried everything and clr kinda worked but I couldn't ever get rid of the hazing

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
It almost looks like the old river tank set up's a store I worked used to sell. It was filtered with canisters and had the intake on one end and the output on the other.

no_one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
FDVDBGBNYHN
I have cleaned all the sides form the in inside with the razor and i will be resealing them just because the silicon is old.

ruddybop
the bottom is made up form 3 layers of galls .. you cant see that in the photos .. but probably the one who made it at some point decided to add another pice of glass to add more strength so ma not worrying about that.removing one middle glass will only reach down to the 3 pice of glass.

Its a strange set up anyways.. i when and took some plastic L profiles which i will be adding after i reseal it to cover all the glass connections and hide ugly silicon and chipped glass edges as well as hopefully some of the residue.

Some small expenses so far but am hoping to shape it up with not many other stuff.
I will keep you updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store