Plywood Tank with Glass From 55 gallon aquarium

NicodemusBC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2011
Springfield, IL
Here is the idea:
Take an old 55 gallon tank (possible one that needs to be resealed), and take it completely apart. Then, use the front and back glass (48x21 ish) to make a plywood tank with 2 windows.
Like this but with 2 pieces of glass used (i've seen some that use 2 pieces before):
dscf1409_607.jpg

With the example of a 55 you could easily build a tank that is 8 ft long and 2 ft tall. The question is could you go for a deeper front to back than a traditional 55 (12 ish inches).

Is it possible? Is that glass suitable for a plywood tank?

dscf1409_607.jpg

fishaddict0417

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
St Louis
Well I haven't started my build... :woot: yet :woot:,
but yah from everything I've heard/read the only number that really matters is the hight. as somebody else put it (cant remember who:() If you wanted to you could build a tank the size of football field with a viewing panel from a 55g tank as long as you kept the water level below the top of that glass.

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
I actually have plans to do this when I get out of Basic and Tech school for the Air Force, I'm taking the front and back glass from a 55 I already have and then buying a second 55gallon and making an 8'x4' tank for my turtles using plywood for the bottom and back.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I also plan on doing something like this in the future with my 110, but instead of only using the two larger panes cutting the tank on the diagonal so the front part of the sides will be visible as well. For example, in my situation the sides would be viewable for the first 18" although I want to make it at least 36" wide to be able to house rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store