questions on all glass tank

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
hi all,
I am planning on making a large all glass tank using a 12mm thick glass, with measurements of 2,5 meters long and 80 cm witdh. The questions are, what is the max height of the tank that I could have with 12mm glass? and could I still make the lenght up to 3 meters? I know that there are glass thickness calculator which I could use, but I am just wandering if anyone ever built one and got away with a safety factor number beyond the standard.
pls help
cheers

gilberbt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I am just wandering if anyone ever built one and got away with a safety factor number beyond the standard.
pls help
The safety factors are there for a reason. There are some wiggle room with them and you can in most cases lower the saftey factor and never have any problems however you are pushing you luck and raising the risk of a catastrophic failure the more you push it. Not all glass is created equally so two different pieces may have different braking points due to imperfections and what not. Personally I would keep as close as I could to the standards out there and not really try and push the limits. If I had to lower the height of my tank or save up another 6 months to get thicker glass then I would do that vs being on edge about breaking the tank all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store